Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gane (a)     05 December 2013

Transfer of ownership

Respected Sir / Madam

I am a adult of 39 years. My father and mother had divorced approx. 23 years back on mutual consent. Post the divorce, my father had remarried. However, neither there are any off-springs from the 2nd marriage nor the 2nd wife alive today (guess she expired 8-10 years back).

My grandfather (father's - father) had also married twice. While my father is the son from his 1st wife, he also has off-springs from his 2nd wife.

For the last 2 years, me and my father have been in touch over phone and sometimes on visit.

Recently, I lost my father (on Nov' 17' 2013). I had performed the last funeral rites of my father according to our customs.

My father had a property (Flat) in Chennai. The flat is registered in his name. He hasn't made any Will to indicate the allotment of flat post his demise. Now, his foster brother's are interested in selling the property and hence are staking claim to the property (flat). Their argument is that since my parents were divorced, we do not have rights to the said property.

Request your kind clarifications on:

a. is it that since our parents were divorced, we are not the legal heirs of the property?

b. Would the deal be honored in court of law, if we are not signatory to the sale agreement?

What legal recourse do we have in the said matter. Please guide.

Regards

Ganesh

Learning

3 Replies

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     06 December 2013

you are the legal heir of your father, they cease to have any right over the flat, Your father had divorced your mother not you. They cannot sell the flat without your concurrence. Carry on with the mutation work .

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     07 December 2013

Advocate Mr. Raghavan is right.  You are the only legal heir to your deceased father and you have all rights and interests over the property.  If you smell your foster uncle is trying to alienate the property, you may file a mandatory injunction suit against them restraining them from indulging into any such activities.  Consult a local lawyer with all papers.

Gane (a)     07 December 2013

Sir

The property documents are not available with me as the interaction between me and my father were majorly on phone and hardly on personal contact. Even during our discussions, my father never indicated as to with whom the documents were available. Guess, my foster uncle has the property documents with him. How do I ensure that he doesn't get into any dealings with the parties without my consent / knowledge.

Also Sir, my foster uncle is asking for a Legal heir certificate to be produced while coming for registration of the sale deed. Is such a document required?

Regards

Ganesh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register