LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nihar (None)     16 November 2012

Suicide because of domestic violence

Hello, my mother had committed suicide 18 years ago (I was 13 years old). All because of my abusive father. I don't what he did but he got out of it without any trouble. Soon after my mom's death he married to one of his college time friend and abandoned me.. Now I want him to pay for what he did to my mother. How can I proceed? Can I get a copy of documents related to police report of my mother's suicide from the police station and get the case re-opened and become the witness?

Learning

2 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     16 November 2012

Dear Querist,

Although atleast in principle there is no limitation as regards the henious offence of abetment of suicide, and cognizance can be taken after any number of years, but in the present case it would indeed be difficult. Procuring a conviction is all about collecting evidences with spontaneity and preserving them, all evidences must have been obliterated. Try getting into the record. Consult a seasoned criminal lawyer if you succeed getting the same. Chances of a criminal prosecution look bleak to me. 

Good Luck !

Bharat Chugh - Advocate Supreme Court of India

Blog : www.advocatebharatchugh.wordpress.com, www.bharatchugh.wordpress.com

Stay Connected on Facebook ! www.facebook.com/advocatebharatchughonthelawsofindia

Law for Layman (Laws of India Initiative) - https://www.thelawsofindia.blogspot.in

1 Like

Nihar (None)     16 November 2012

Thank you Sir, what type of evidence will be needed? Will my statement work? I will no benefit out of it. my father doesn't have any property or money that I will get in case he gets punished.. he is pensioner now (retired from a central goverment accountant job).

What will happen if I submit an application to re-open the case? Or will have to lodge a fresh FIR?

Can I file an RTI with the police station and ask for documents related to the report? It's been 18 years.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register