Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sumit Batra (Partner)     28 October 2010

SERVICE TAX THRESHOLD

Dear All,

I am initiating a discussion for all the experts of this group, this topic is for academic discussion.

Suppose in year 2004-05 threshold limit for service tax was Rs. 5,00,000 (assumed figure) and a person had receipts worth 4,50,000. In this case he is not liable to pay any Service Tax.

Suppose in year 2005-06 threshold limit for service tax was increased  to Rs. 8,00,000 (assumed figure) and a person had receipts worth 10,50,000. In this case he is liable to pay Service Tax at the prescribed rate.

Now Suppose in year 2006-07 threshold limit for service tax was increased to Rs. 10,00,000 (assumed figure) and a person had receipts worth 9,50,000. In this case is he still liable to pay Service Tax at the prescribed rate since he became assessable to Service Tax in the previous year?

Why should Principles as prevalent in Income Tax should apply, wherein if exemption is changed every year the income of the assessee becomes liable as per the prevalent rates.

Wht is your opinion?

Regards,

Sumit

Learning

7 Replies

Sumit Batra (Partner)     28 October 2010

---- MINOR CORRECTION FROM PREVIOUS MSG----

Dear All,

I am initiating a discussion for all the experts of this group, this topic is for academic discussion.

Suppose in year 2004-05 threshold limit for service tax was Rs. 5,00,000 (assumed figure) and a person had receipts worth 4,50,000. In this case he is not liable to pay any Service Tax.

Suppose in year 2005-06 threshold limit for service tax was increased  to Rs. 8,00,000 (assumed figure) and a person had receipts worth 10,50,000. In this case he is liable to pay Service Tax at the prescribed rate.

Now Suppose in year 2006-07 threshold limit for service tax was increased to Rs. 10,00,000 (assumed figure) and a person had receipts worth 9,50,000. In this case is he still liable to pay Service Tax at the prescribed rate since he became assessable to Service Tax in the previous year?

Why should Principles as prevalent in Income Tax should  not apply, wherein if exemption is changed every year the income of the assessee becomes liable as per the prevalent rates.

Wht is your opinion?

Shayan Khan (B.com)     28 October 2010

i am not specific to your query but i am giving a general explainations.

Exemption in the current year is available based on the threshold limits exceeded by the service providers in the preceding financial year.

for example, in the current financial year, exemption limit is Rs. 1000000

it means, exemption is available to the assessee in the current upto Rs. 1000000 provided in the preceding financial year his value of taxable service has not exceeded Rs. 1000000.

moreover, such exemption is OPTIONAL..

Jagadeesh Birkodikar (Proprietor)     31 October 2010

My Opinion regarding threshold limit of Service Tax

I guess you have not clarified the problem very specifically. However on the available info I would like to place my views….

1.   A taxable entity needs to pay service tax if such entity exceeds the threshold limit in particular year.

2.   Let’s assume that in a particular financial year if a person has exceeded the threshold limit and has paid the tax and if in next year if he falls below the category of threshold limit of taxation then it’s quite evident & clear that as per Service Tax Law he is neither liable collect service tax or to pay the tax.

3.   If an assessee falls below threshold limit, then its will & wish of the assessee whether he wants to be on record of Service tax or not. It’s purely optional. I agree with the views of Mr. Azim Khan. But well ahead of time try to guess whether total taxable turnover will fall below threshold limit or not.

4.   But what is very important is …….

(i)   If an assessee assumes that he will cross the taxable limit and duly collects the service tax from customers and if he doesn’t cross the threshold limit, In such case it’s his duty and it’s mandatory too, to pay the taxes collected and file the Service Tax Returns punctually. He can’t keep service tax collected with him saying that he has not achieved threshold limit. Such an act is untenable in the eyes of law which may lead to severe actions as prescribed in Service Tax Law, because he has only collected monies on behalf of Central Government.

(ii) If an assessee assumes that he will not cross the taxable limit and doesn’t collect the service tax from customers and if he crosses the threshold limit, in such case it’s mandatory to pay the taxes. Here assessee may end up in paying it from his pocket. He can’t keep mum without paying taxes and not filing Service Tax Returns merely on the belief that he has not collected any monies under prevailing law of Service Tax. This act not only attract interest on tax quantum that is payable as per applicable Service Tax Law but may lead to penal action too.

(iii)               Hence I opine that if someone feels that his total turnover may come very close to threshold limit in such situation it’s better to collect the taxes to avoid the losses that may arise in case assessee crosses threshold limit by meager amount.

So my dear friend be very cautious and assume/pre-calculate your turnover properly to avoid unpleasant situation and losing your hard earned money.

Thank you

Jb

Yeh…….

I have forgotten one more thing….

·         That as per Service Tax Law taxable turnover means the turnover which is exceeded by the threshold limit.

Thank You

Jb

Sorry friends............ another thing….

·         Basic exemption is available  only ot those assesses whose turnover in the previous is year is less than Rs.10.00 lakahs

Thank You

Jb

Rema (Advocate)     07 November 2010

Mr. Jagadeesh has clearly explained the position of Threshold.  Thank you. 

Rema

CA.Madhusudan B.P. (Chartered Accountant)     24 November 2010

Service tax is a branch of Indirect taxation, wherein the levy &  incidence of taxes are on two different person.

In case of Income tax, both levy & incidence are on the same person

Service tax registration shall be done when the gross billing exceeds Rs.9 lakhs AND payment of service tax shall be made ONLY WHEN THE RECEIPTS EXCEEDS RS. 10 LAKSH present financial year. More over the service tax shall be paid based on the collection of the invoice & not on the invoice perse,unlike in Excise & VAT.

A service provider can get register & may pay service tax even if the amount does not exceed the limit, this is because of availnment of input credit & utilisation of the same.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register