LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Self acquired property without source of income

If property was in the name of  a grandmother who happens to be a housewife without any soruce of income. will that conisdered as self aquried property or a joint family property. if grandmother has a rigth to gift a or sell a property to one or the other leagal heir?





 4 Replies

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     17 December 2019

The property purchased in your name cannot be treated as family property to be divided among the family members but your own. If the facts of the issue are true as you narrated here they cannot do anything at all. Even filing of a suit may also be difficult as they cannot convincingly produce anything to show their claim prima facie.

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     17 December 2019

Kindly treat my above post deleted, as it was made by mistake and couldn't be deleted.

Shashi Dhara   18 December 2019

You have to prove who invested money to buy the property in your grandmother's name..if not it is treated it as her property and she has right to dispose it as her wishes.

GANDHI MOHAN BHARATI (Pensioner)     18 December 2019

To the best of my knowlegeany propery that comes into the handsof a woman by way of Sidhana, gift, will etc., acquires the status of a se;lf acqored property in the hands of the woman under the Womens' property Act, 1956 and she can dispose it off in any manner as she wishes

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register