LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hussein HM (Software Consultant)     18 June 2017

Rights on property for females under muslim shia law

Dears Experts, 


I am Shia Muslim (Bohra). 

I am facing a dispute in my family especially with regards to my Sister. 


I am completely fine with giving my Sister rightful share/percentage in my Parents Property. 

However, she is targeting 50% of the share in our parental property and my parents are also supporting her. 

May I please know, what is Percentage of Rights on Parental Property for Females under Muslim Shia Law ? 

My Sister is married in a well to do family and has a kid.


Secondly, she is now targeting the share/percentage on the property which is completely bought by me. 

To my/our surprise, my parents are instigating her & supporting her in her demand and forcing / threatening me. 

I have all the records on the payments of such Property which is solely out of my salaries.

However, in order to get some Tax benefits, I have registered the Property in the name of my Parents. 

May I please know, if she carries any rights on such Property bought by me but registered in my parents name ?


Your help is greatly appreciated. 






 2 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     19 June 2017

Both your parents are alive.Assuming that your paternal grandparents died leaving behind properties for their offsprings and linseal discendants(Imean you and your Sister).According to Shia law of Inheritance YOUr Parents would get 1/6 th each. and you and your  full sister, lineal discendnets of your parents would get 2/3rd and 1/3 respectively.IN Muslim Law  Sons would get double of what the daughters would get. So already your Sharia law sanctioned such  a   kind   of discrimination.This calculation is based on shia aMuslim law of Inheritance.Regarding your properties keeping in your parents name only their daughter's marriage was performed. No share was given to  her. Now she can cliam her share  even demanding division/distribution of property.If your father feels that what he has  is his sons  property he will definitely give it back to you.through Will or gift.So long as the property is in  their name it completely belongs to them and they can  distribute the property in accordance with Shia Muslim Law of Inheritance.

1 Like

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     20 June 2017

If you appreciate the abiove answer please clik the like button on my profile.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query