Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kavita (na)     28 June 2014

Rights of daughter-in-law

Hello sir...

I m married from past 17 years... my inlaws are holding some property in the name of my brother-in-law, my mother-in-law... nowhere my husband's name is there on any property documents... i have a daughter , who is 13...

Do i have any right on my in-law's property? If Yes, To what extent? 

Learning

9 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 June 2014

You have given incomplete information such as the property as stated to be in the name of BIL or MIL is a share of ancestral or self-acquired property.

Probably the property is not ancestral otherwise your husband is a coparcener (by birth) and has to be a co- sharer. You can have a share in ancestral property through (after) your husband. However, your daughter has a share out of her father's share.

Contact and consult a local lawyer. 

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     28 June 2014

A woman has a right over the property of her husband but she cannot claim a right to live in the house of her parents-in-law, against their wishes.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     28 June 2014

You can not claim any right over the property of your in- laws .

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 June 2014

DR. Vashista has explained the matter.

Pls revert to the points raised by Dr.Vashista.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     28 June 2014

Dr. Vashista lucidly explained the position.  Pl. find out the status of the property-ancestral or self acquired.  That determines your and your daughter's rights.

kavita (na)     28 June 2014

Thnku sir... Please guide me for...

-How can i knw this , whether this house where me and my inlaws are living from past 17-18 years is a self aquired property or ancestral property?

- If my FIL got some property from his father or mother b4 18-20 years and then my FIL sold out that property and bought this house ( also added some amt, from where i m nt aware) where we are living, then wat it is called?? ancestral or self-acquired property.?

- Can my husband or my in-laws throw me out of this house when ever they want?

-P.N..M living here from the day one of my marriage..

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     28 June 2014

If you are not knowing anything about the property, how did you know that your husband or your daughter or yourself have a share in the said property?  First of all, even if it is your father-in-law's property, neither your husband nor anyone can claim a share in the property until he decides to give them a share in it.  It is better you consult a local lawyer and take decision to sue your father in law seeking share in the property on behalf of yur husband.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 June 2014

Contact, consult and engage a local lawyer so that your case can be pursued in a professional manner in your own interest and benefit.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     30 June 2014

You do not have any right over the property of in laws.  Instead of that you insist your husband to ask for his share.  If there is no action, ask your husband to file partition suit (if it is ancestral in nature).  If it is self acquired property of your in laws, then you cannot demand them.  You can only request them to transfer some of the property on your husband name.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register