LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Kr Garg (Business)     19 April 2012

Returning of share certificates on satisfaction of pledge

Few shareholers of a company pledged their shares to me as security for loan given to their company under a tri-partitite Share Pledge Agreement that included the borrower company as well. The Agreement says that upon receipt of all the dues, I will return the share certificates to the shareholders.

Now, some other investor has entered into an MOU with the company's MD who is broke financially. Under this MOU, he arranged for new investment into the company out of which, my loan was repaid by the company. Now the investor is asking me to return these share certificates to him without producing any letter of authority from the shareholders.

My worry is that the shareholder might sue me anytime to demand the share certificates as per the Agreement, and also citing that they were pledged by the shareholders and were the property of shareholders and not the company. Investor is insisting that I deliver the certificates to registered office of the company.

Will it absolve me of any future liability? Can I legally return share certificates to the company or any other director of the company who may have a general power of attorny about affairs of the company by the MD but not the shareholders? Pls advise.

Learning

1 Replies

Som Bathla (In-house Legal Counsel)     25 April 2012

If the tripartite agreement obliges you that upon payment of money by the Company, pledged shares shall be delivered to the concerned shareholders, then under the Agreement, these must be delivered to them, citing the reference of the relevent clause. Also a written acknowledgment from the shareholders be obtained after they have received their shares, to avoid any future claims.

delivering this to Company or the new investor is not advisable, as you are already contractually bound to deliver these to the shareholders only.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register