LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ranju_9666 (Service)     10 June 2015

Rent and tenancy query

My mother-in-law and unmarried sister-in-law lives in a rented two-storeyed house in Kolkata. They have been tenants for over 60 years, right from the time my father-in-law, who expired in 1996, took rent of the premises in the 1930's. The landlord had last increased the rent in the year 2000 from Rs 800 to Rs 2000. and the rent receipts issued are in the name of my mother-in-law. Later after the landlord's demise, the rent is being paid to his wife. The landlady is now pressurizing my mother-in-law to vacate one floor of house, citing that she needs the space to stay OR to increase the rent by 10 times as she has information that the current residential rent rates in that locality are of that order. 

She had even refused to accept the present rent but after I had told her that this would be of no use to her as her refusal to accept would entail me to deposit the rent at Rent Control, she is willing to go in for a discussion. 

In this regard, I would like to know

(a) how much would be the fair rent that I can offer to her, considering that the last hike had been in the Year 2000. 

(b) If she sticks to her demand for vacating a floor of the house, how much protection has my mother-in-law in terms of tenancy laws for not vacating a part of that house. 

(c) If in the event for a workable negotiation to be effected between the two sides, can my mother-in-law ask for adequate compensation for vacating the said floor considering the  fact that for the last 6 decades all repairs and renovations to the house has been borne by my in-laws. 

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register