LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raghu (Prof)     09 January 2013

Renouncing inheritance: procedure

I am a citizen of India living in the United States.

I recently came to know that I am to receive an inheritance when my maternal grand mother expires. I am the son of her predeceased daughter i.e. my mother has already expired.

A portion of the inheritance will be a share in a flat/apartment located in India and will be via a will that she has registered in India. Another portion of the inheritance from her may be of her movable assets - this inheritance may be via the intestate (no will) channel as I am one of her legal heirs (son of predeceased daughter of my grandmother), per Hindu law, because my mother has already expired.

I would like to renounce i.e. disclaim the entire inheritance from my grandmother. I can execute an affidavit to this effect in the US, get it notarized and attested by the Indian Consulate here.

I would appreciate input about whether I need to do anything beyond the affidavit mentioned above.

Learning

2 Replies

sri (ceo)     09 January 2013

secure ancestral and parental reminds for their remembrance... nowadays the value is manifold... think again... search google for your formats/documents

Raghu (Prof)     09 January 2013

Thank you, CEO for your suggestions. I have many reasons for not claiming the inheritance that overweigh the things you mentioned. I have searched the Internet extensively using Google before posting my query here. I know that at a minimum, I will need to file a notarized affidavit that I can draft on my own. I have sought input from professionals here on whether more is required.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register