LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vishwakarma (legal manager)     02 November 2009


Dear Friends,

I have a query on the registration of title of a motion film. Kindly let me the know of the authority and procedure for registration of title of a motion film. Whether it will fall within the ambit of Copyright?






 9 Replies

Vedaa Mirazkar (98457 02459) (Lawyer)     02 November 2009

Yes. Cinematograph films  - also  title of motion films including its screenplay is registerable under copyright Act. The same must be registered with the Copyright Board in New Delhi. Pertinent to note that registration is not mandatory but advisable due to its benefits. For details on Procedure for registration, please visit

Vedaa Mirazkar (98457 02459) (Lawyer)     02 November 2009

For immediate reference, see hereinbelow:

Chapter VI of the Copyright Rules, 1956, as amended, sets out the procedure for the registration of a work. Copies of the Act and Rules can be obtained from the Manager of Publications, Publication Branch, Civil Lines, Delhi or his authorised dealers on payment. The procedure for registration is as follows:

  1. Application for registration is to be made on Form IV ( Including Statement of Particulars and Statement of Further Particulars) as prescribed in the first schedule to the Rules ;

  2. Separate applications should be made for registration of each work;

  3. Each application should be accompanied by the requisite fee prescribed in the second schedule to the Rules ; and

  4. The applications should be signed by the applicant or the advocate in whose favour a Vakalatnama or Power of Attorney has been executed. The Power of Attorney signed by the party and accepted by the advocate should also be enclosed.

Each and every column of the Statement of Particulars and Statement of Further Particulars should be replied specifically.

Both published and unpublished works can be registered. Copyright in works published before 21st January, 1958, i.e., before the Copyright Act, 1957 came in force, can also be registered, provided the works still enjoy copyright. Three copies of published work may be sent along with the application. If the work to be registered is unpublished, a copy of the manuscript has to be sent along with the application for affixing the stamp of the Copyright Office in proof of the work having been registered. In case two copies of the manuscript are sent, one copy of the same duly stamped will be returned, while the other will be retained, as far as possible, in the Copyright Office for record and will be kept confidential. It would also be open to the applicant to send only extracts from the unpublished work instead of the whole manuscript and ask for the return of the extracts after being stamped with the seal of the Copyright Office.

When a work has been registered as unpublished and subsequently it is published, the applicant may apply for changes in particulars entered in the Register of Copyright in Form V with prescribed fee.

Application for registration of copyright alongwith statement of particulars and instructions for filling up the statement of particulars are at Appendix - I.


Yes. A motion picture can be registered under Copy right act.




Vedaa Mirazkar (98457 02459) (Lawyer)     02 November 2009

Mr.Reddy, I personally think that people approach copyright board to protect their valuable work whereas people approach the film chambers because it is a first step to screen their films and to publicise.  Film chambers are established in every State to cater to the problems of producers, distributors, exhibitors, workers, artists, technicians etc.  It administers film industry policies. 

UMA DEVI MADASANI (INCHARGE IPR DEPARTMENT & HR DEPARTMENT: CS (Executive) student)     03 November 2009

Dear Vishwakarma,

Copyright can be registered only for the expression.  It means whatever the words or title can be registered under the copyright act.  You will definitely get right over the title or words of the motion film in the same style colour and letters registered.  Nobody is allowed to use in the same manner.  However you will not get right to title of motion film unless you register the same with the regional film chamber. 

praveenkumar (coimbatore)     05 September 2012

En Eniya Pon Nilave

ghanshyam hemdev (director)     13 December 2012

I agree with Mr Janardhan reddy that the best and easy way is to register the title with the Film Chambers concerned.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register