LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

espcenthil@gmail.com (student)     15 October 2011

Grand father property

we have a property(in tamil nadu) which is under dispute.. the property originally was in the name of my grandfather who expired some 30 years back.. there is no will on my father and following that all taxes paid and A- register has been in my fathers name for past 25 years.. now my fathers sister is claiming a share in the property.. so what would be the outcome.. since all the expenses of  her marriage( during1985),dowry was spent by my father...

kindly reply..

Learning

4 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     15 October 2011

When there was no partition or any arrangement made by grandfather then naturally after the death of the grandfather succession opens .  As such daughter has also got equal rights .  She can claim now also.

sekar (retd)     15 October 2011

well senthil,

this problem is there in many Hindu families.the daughters lay claim for a share without bearing expenses on the property and without taking care of the mother, if she happens to be a dependant.

What about money spent on their marriage? The son gets no marriage expenses.He has to take care of the mother and the associated tensions and expenses. Further they may not have stayed in the property. if there is a will then to some extent you can be saved.but they may contest this as well....for them it is throw away money.

Your father can claim the marriage expenses at today's rates.

sekar,mumbai

varun mathur (Lawyer)     16 October 2011

The sister will get 1/3 share as share of grand mother is also in property.

Sh. P Suresh (For To By Green Kindness Perpetuity Selfsustainability Always)     29 October 2011

Which side does this grandmother take? Who is taking care of her expenses? Has she executed any will?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register