Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arun Mahajan (Area Sales Manager)     15 February 2012

Ex parte divorce.

Dear Sir,

my friend got married in dec 2003 and from the very initial stages the couple were not compatible. due to family pressure both of them stayed together and now have 2 children. A boy of 7 yrs and a daughter of 4 years.

The wife of my friend is a very cruel women and due to this my friends widowed mother legally has disowned my friend from herself (giving add in the newspaper) around 2 years back as the wife of my friend used to quarrel and used to abuse her on daily basis.

in January 2011when his wife had gone to her parents house my friend filed for divorce giving her parents address in the divorce petition,court sent her the divorce papers as per its procedure.she did not attend the court on the first date of hearing ie 18th march 2011 and court on that day itself started ex parte proceedings.

on 30th march 2011 my friend was able to get decree of Divorce from the court on the grounds of cruelty.

His wife has taken all her jewellery and given to her mother along with all the streedhan which she had got at the time of marriage. wife is still staying with the husband in the same house but in different rooms.

now my friend is planning to get married again and i have the following questions.

1. Since there is no proof that she has taken away all the jewellery can she file a complaint that the jewellery is with us ?

2. can she file a case u/s 498a against my friend and his mother and married sisters? Can sec 498a be filed after 1 year of divorce.

3. my friend wants to have the custody of both the children at any cost, would he be able to get the same?(My friend earns 60000/- P.M and the girl has no income) and how can he debar his wife to get the custody.Children are studying in the best school of the city having annual fees of about Rs 50,000/- per child.

4.Even-though legally his mother has disowned him he still stays in the same house ie her mothers house. can his wife claim a share or right to live in the house ?

5. Can she reopen the ex parte divorce case?

6. what other cases can she file?

7.please guide how best he can avoid all the legal hassles and even if goes to court how can be a winner. 

8.if his wife goes to police what would be their plan of action. and how can he be saved from them
9. kindly send all the judgements to help him.
10. how much alimony can she get? bank balance of friend is only Rs 1,50,000/- at the moment.

Learning

6 Replies

Chaitanya_Lawyer_Mumbai (Lawyer)     15 February 2012

She can reopen ex parte divorce case with an application for condonation of delay.

she can file 498a.

she can claim for maintenance.

Wife cannot claim share in the property.she can claim right to live in the house in or ask for separate accomodation in DV.

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     15 February 2012

Dear Querist,

Well the period of limitation for filing a 498a is 3 years, however there is no such limiation on 406 - as - courts feel that as long as istridhan articles are retained by husband's family - it's a continuing offence - renewing limitation each second. All in all she can still get the ex parte set aside - and court's are likely to do it if sufficient cause is shown.....advise would be not to marry - if ex parte gets set aside - second marriage becomes void in the eyes of law. 

Arun Mahajan (Area Sales Manager)     24 February 2012

Dear Sir,

Thanks .

sir my query is since the mother has legally disowned the son ie a publication was given in the newspaper by the mother , in that case the son is forcefully/illegally staying in the house, then how can court allow the women to stay or pass such an order that she can stay in the house, which is owned by her ex mother in  law .

moreover can my friend give a public notice in newspapers that he has got divorce exparte and then wait for 30 to 60 days to get married. would that be suffient cause that exparte divorce is not reopened.if so what should be the wording of the public notice.

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     24 February 2012

Ex party divorce is a hanging sword , it can be set aside any time.

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     24 February 2012

Regarding house it is valid alibi , however if you are earning you have to provide altnerate accomadation under DV act.

1 Like

Arun Mahajan (Area Sales Manager)     24 February 2012

Dear Sir,

what should be his defence or plan of action that Ex Parte divorce is nor re-opened. case laws where it has been decided that ex parte can not be set aside since husband has remarried and third party is involved.

i read somewhere only permanent alimony can only be claimed in ex parte divorce in case the other paerson marries. is it so ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More