LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jagdish Vasta (Service)     21 June 2008

Query - Needs everybodys attention

Recently we have given a contract to a party and have engaged it to supply us a vehicle and drivers too to provide transport services round the clock to us when required. It is a Tavera vehicle.


Now I have a doubt whether to include the Contractors name in our Certificate of Registration (under the Contract Labour Act 1970 and rules thereunder).


If you experts feel Yes state the reason why? And if No also give me an answer why not.


I am eagerly awaiting your replies. Hope u all contribute your views towards the same.





 7 Replies

Jagdish Vasta (Service)     21 June 2008

Hey all,

6 viwes but no reply?

waiting pls

Jagdish V

amit gupta_lawyer (lawyer)     21 June 2008

first under contract labour act if there is more than 20 employees then principle also required to take license i.e.certificate of registration and if there are less than 20 employees then licence is not required however the person who has taken the contract (i.e.contractor )for the principle he should have the licence for that and proper guide lines are required to be followed for the benifit of employees.

Jagdish Vasta (Service)     21 June 2008

Thanks amit for the reply... but i think you have got me wrong.

My query is whether we as a principal employer need to ammend our present certificate of registration (under CLRA) by incorporating the party's name as it runs a vehicle which serves us for transporting our employees around the clock.

It is a like a company vehicle (4 wheeler Tavera)

Pls respond.

Jagdish Vasta

H. S. Thukral (Lawyer)     21 June 2008

The work of ferrying your employees to the workplace can be termed as work incidental to your organisation. It would be better if you include the transporter in the certificate. 

jagdish (Service)     22 June 2008

Thanks Sirji.

Jagdish Vasta

Saravana Rajan   24 June 2008


Would like to add to this. 

As a principal employer, if you have more than one contractor and if your total workforce strenght exceeds 20, you are bound to get this registration under CLRA Act.

Its also your responsibility as a principal employer for paying legal benefits like ESI, PF to the subcontractor employees.

So, it is mandatory for you to include them in your registration certificate.

Thanks & Regards,

Saravana Rajan. S

D.Pannerselvam (HR / IR Manager)     28 June 2008

Dear All,

Principle employer should register their firm even less than 20 contract labours are engaged in transport work.

Pl add this point also. Contractor no need to take licence if the number of contract labours engaged less  than 20 under CLRA act.




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register