New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shiv sharma (NA)     19 January 2011

probation completed in the previous service, now joined new

I was working in an autonomus body of UGC (central govt.) and I completed the one year probation successfully. After that I served for a couple of years.

Now I have joined a new service. This is a private university but acting like a govt. institution. They have two years of probation period. Please advice me if I can claim the benefit of previous probation period.




 2 Replies


The probation period is set by individual organisation for the employees to test their character and abilities to see whether they are suitable for work or for membership of the organisation. As a matter of right, you cannot claim any benefit for the probaion period spent at the UGC in the private university.


However, you can request the competent authority for the reduction or dispensation of the fresh probation period in the new organisation quoting your previous probation period as well as the experience gained in similar type of service, as a probation is nothing except a trial period during which your character and abilities have already been tested in the similar type of post to see whether you were suitable for work or for membership, while you have already gained much more experience than the present trial period (probation period).


Best of luck


PS Dhingra

CEO cum Management & Vigilance Consultant

Dhingra Group of Consultants

New Delhi

Kirti Kar Tripathi (lawyer)     22 January 2011

No, you can not claim but you can inform your employer, it for the employer whether they consider or not.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register