LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VIJAY K. TEOTIA (ADVOCATE)     26 October 2017

Police investigation

how long an investigating officer keep pending investigation and prolong its report to the concerned court whether final report or charge sheet?
does an accused have any right to ask for completing investigation?


 5 Replies

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     26 October 2017

As per law the police has to complete investigation within 60 and 90 days depending on nature of crime but this period can be extended by the permission of the court citing reasonable and valid reasons.
1 Like

pankaj verma   27 October 2017

accused have no right except u/s 167 cr.p.c

VIJAY K. TEOTIA (ADVOCATE)     27 October 2017

This is applicable when accused is in judicial custody. My query is when the accused is not arrested.

manoj   27 October 2017


There is no specifically mentioned in CrPC about the limitation for  completion of investigation regarding any Crime. As per my knowledge that the Police investigation should be completed within two years against any crime. When the Police investigation is delayed for two years, the final report or charge sheet must be submitted within a further period of three months and if it is not done, The State Government should be bound to withdraw the case against the accused. As per my opinion if the police is not completing the investigation  and not filing charge sheet against the accused upto two years and additional period of three months for completing the investigation, one can reasonably assume that there is no case against the arrested persons. The case should be withdrawn by the State Government under the above circumstances. If you want I will provide Judgment.





1 Like

VIJAY K. TEOTIA (ADVOCATE)     27 October 2017

Thanks Manoj ji. Kindly provide citation to Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register