Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shaiz (Interaction Designer)     06 March 2014

Pending full and final and bonus payment & notice period

Hi,

I was employed in a company in Gurgaon from 6th of March 2013, till 10th of January 2014. I initially resigned from the company due to lack of work and direction in october/november. At that time, I gave my employer the option to start the notice period immediately or defer it for a later date as I was involved in a project at that time. Both my employer and myself had an email communication regarding the same and the date for my notice period to start was set at 1st of January 2014.

Later, I got approached by a company in Pune who offered me a job and post some negotiations, I accepted the offer. The Pune employer asked me to resign immediately from the company and join by mid Jan. I did as asked putting in another formal resignation letter on December the 16th 2013.

My Gurgaon employer acknowledged the email and said he will get back to me with the next steps. He never did that. I wasn't paid the December salary as I was told I am under notice period and any pending salary will be paid only after my Full and Final.

On January the 10th, after being constantly ignored, my employer finally came up to me and said that he is ok to relieve me. However, he considered the notice period to start from January 1st and not December 16th. Is he correct on this? I asked him why I wasn't paid my december salary if I wasn't under notice period and I was told it was a "mistake".

As per my contract, I should have received quarterly bonus payouts. I have worked 3 full quarters in this company but haven't see any bonus (even though my appraisal was conducted within a month and I was granted an option between a salary raise and stock options). Even during my tenure at the company I have received numerous kudos, so it isn't like I have done a shoddy job. All my colleagues received their bonuses, except me.

I had a 2 month notice period as per my contract. Since my employer is holding me to jan 1st as the start of the notice period, I have only served 10 days out of the stipulated 60. What are my legal options here? Is he even correct?

I have email records of my resignation letter to him dated december 16th 2013. Signed copy of the contract (both the original one, and the new one when my appraisal was done), offer letter.

Learning

3 Replies

Sanjay Malik (Manager- Legal & Compliance )     06 March 2014

its very clear that the notice period shall reckoned from the day you put your resignation i.e 16th Dec, not on the day when your employer accepted resignation.

the days when you send communication to your employer and communication came to the knowledge of your employer, there is a separation of employment from that onward and to complete either the notice period or pay amount in liue of notice period.

suppose a employer never accept any resignation it does not mean that employee will leave the organization, the day notice period completed, employee can leave. Non acceptance of resignation does not bar an employee to leave.

You please speak to HR politily and request for relieving.

Sanjay Malik (Manager- Legal & Compliance )     06 March 2014

its very clear that the notice period shall reckoned from the day you put your resignation i.e 16th Dec, not on the day when your employer accepted resignation.

the days when you send communication to your employer and communication came to the knowledge of your employer, there is a separation of employment from that onward and to complete either the notice period or pay amount in liue of notice period.

suppose a employer never accept any resignation it does not mean that employee will leave the organization, the day notice period completed, employee can leave. Non acceptance of resignation does not bar an employee to leave.

You please speak to HR politily and request for relieving.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 March 2014

If employee has chosen to retire by way of resignation then employee shall choose the date of separation.

The notice period shall commence from the date of notice.

Employee should always tender some reasonable notice and must stated in writing that as on date NO task are pending and routine duties  on daily basis be assigned that can be completed within and up to last day/date in office. Employee should handover the charge/company property under proper acknowledgment and help to train the replacement and complete tasks on hand.

Earned wages have to be paid on usual/due date of payment of wages. Non Payment of wages on due date may invite penalty say Rs.7500/instance……………….

FNF dues should be paid on last day in office or within next 3 days or max. by usual pay day.

Notice/resignation should be carefully drafted preferably with the help of a trained legal mind. There was no need to write that “or defer it for a later date as I was involved in a project at that time.

Notice of resignation and resignation can be withdrawn before expiry of notice period.

You have posted that: “I did as asked putting in another formal resignation letter on December the 16th 2013.

You could have stated that previous notice of resignation stands withdrawn.

Now it is not known what the strategy of your employer is.

Most probably the establishment would be covered by (Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act. You may refer to section on payment of wages, notice of resignation/termination/dismissal.

Standing orders (Certified/Model) might be applicable to it and extended to your designation. If standing orders are applicable but are not certified Model Standing orders shall apply and as per it notice period applicable in Probation is NIL and after confiormation 1 month.

Standing orders (Certified/Model) being instrument of law/having statutory force shall supersede/prevail upon any private agreement that employer might have signed with employee.

If employer defaults on payment of wages it may default on PF,ESIC,TDS etc………..

Employee can approach:

----Employees Unions
 : There are employees unions of IT/ITeS employees and they have done good job.

--- Trade Unions e.g; CITU, AITUC, INTUC ............................

The trade unions are willing to embrace IT/ITeS employees and they are very effective too.

--- Inspector under (Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, If it is commercial establishment.

The employer has to maintain and submit requisite forms and registers according to Shops and Commercial Establishments Act. If the employer makes false entries it is offence.

--- Inspector under Payment of Wages Act: applicable to all employees drawing wages up to Rs.18000/pm as per def. of wages in the Act. 
You may refer to: Payment of Wages Act; Sec13A and 2: 3*[(i), (ia), 3*[(vi), 3, 4 ,5, 13a, 14, 15, 16, 17A, 20………….. and if the Inspector agrees to cover you may immediately submit Form’N’ for recovery of wages.

--- O/o Labor Commissioner

----RPFC thru nearest PF office

----ESTC Inspector in jurisdictional ESTC office

--- ITO; TDS where you file your ITR

--- CIT-TDS (jurisdictional) where company files ITR

----Lawyer/Law firm

---Civil Court

Employees have been contemplating to file criminal complaints u/s 406, 420……………………………and to approach employer as creditors treating unpaid wages as debt on employer e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=72011&offset=1#.UvYBGEeBmXV

Before you act further It shall be appropriate to show the job advt, job application, interview call letter, offer letter, selection letter, appointment letter, CTC sheet, Salary Structure, Salary slips, STANDING ORDERS APPLICABLE TO THE ESTABLISHMENT (CERTIFIED/MODEL) AND EXTENDED TO YOUR DESIGNATION, HR policy, Service rules and regulations, Conduct and discipline rules, Notice of resignation, resignation etc…………….. Communications exchanged to a competent and experienced Labor consultant/service lawyer at your location, give inputs in person and proceed under the expert advice of your lawyer.

Attached File : 955576813 model standing orders industrial employment standing orders rules.pdf downloaded: 130 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register