Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sarjooram Sharma (Assistant Labour commissioner)     26 May 2010

Payment of Gratuity Act

Corporation made its own scheme for gratuity:
Section 2(f) and 4(5)- Gratuity - Order directing the petitioner to pay the amount of gratuity to concerned workmen - Provisions of Act apply in the cases - as the petitioner - Corporation is "employer" - And corporation cann not say that the Act does not apply - Merely because coporation hasf made their own scheme of Gratuity - Orders passed by the authority are upheld. There is no exemption under the Gratuity Act 1972 in favour of the petitioner - corporation and therefore Payment of Gratuity Act 1972 would be applicable to the petitioner - Corporation also.

Learning

5 Replies

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     29 May 2010

Thanx sir, can get this judgement/citation!
vasudevan

Sudarshan Nair (Computer Engineer)     08 June 2010

Hi All,

I am a software engineer in a MNC Bangalore. I've completed my 4 years & 6 months of employment.

Will I be eligible for Gratuity? Is it mandatory to complete 5 years?

Sudarshan

SHARAD CHANDRA DANEJ (Asstt. Manager)     09 June 2010

Dear Sudarshan

Yes, I think its mandatory to complete 5 years service in a co. to be eligible for gratuity as per existing provisions of the act.

S C DANEJ

Azeemuddin (Project Manager)     11 October 2010

I am also in a similar situation. I worked for an employer for 4 years and 8 months and 3 days. They say you need to complete 5 calendar years. Gratuity act section 2 states more than 6 months continuous service is considered as 1 year. Madras High court also has passed a ruling in one case. I would like to know if the Madras High court ruling can be cited as a precedence to put forth a claim for gratuity.

https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/files/33_madras_hc_on_gratuity_4_5_yrs.pdf

Pramod Harkisondas Divecha (private)     19 October 2010

"More than six months to be considered 1 year" is applicable to the calculation part once the eligibility of 5 years is established. Therefore, with 4 years,8 minths and 3 days continous service one does not become eligible to receive gratuity.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register