Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sivakumar anand (MANAGER)     16 November 2011

Partition probs -agricultural land

Dear Experts,

My friend mom owns a 30 acres of agricultural land and an old house both ancestral proeprty in their native village. My friend has a brother and a sister and sister got married in 1996. My friends grand mother has written the will during 1987 and has registered in my friend and his brothers' name. My friends mom is taking care of the property along with her husband.

Now my friends brother in law (sister's husband) wants some share out of the property and threatens to go legal.

What is your advise...

regards

siva

Learning

7 Replies

K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (ADVOCATE)     16 November 2011

whose property is that?.  Mother or Grandmother?

sivakumar anand (MANAGER)     17 November 2011

Grandmother wrote the will and registered in favour of the grand sons and making the mother has guradian of the will and the beneficiary till the mother's death.  Grand mothers expired in 1990 and mother is taking care of the property and availing the beneifits accrued out of the lands

K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (ADVOCATE)     17 November 2011

it is not called as guardian. it is called as executrix. tell where the property is situates exactly.

Advocate Vishnu (Advocate)     17 November 2011

Dear Sivakumar,

The will of your friend's grandmother will be acted upon only if the property is her absolute property else all the legal heirs of your friend's grandfather have a right by their birth( if he had died intestate- without a will).As per the amended Hindu succession act of 2005, even female coparcenors have equal rights on the property as the male co parcenors. Pl contact a good advocate who will be able to explain the nature of the property from the family genealogy.

sivakumar anand (MANAGER)     18 November 2011

Thank you experts,

The will was written to my friend's grandmother, to his mother and have been registered.  My friend's mother is the only daughter and she has three children , two sons and one daughter.  Now the daughter's husband (son in law) wants a share. The land is situated in  Kanchipuram dt , Tamilnadu. Till today my friend'smother is the executrix. It seems that the will was written in a good faith that the executrix should not sell the land and it should go to he heirs of the executrix. 

Is my friend's sister eligible to get a share ? 

regards

siva

K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (ADVOCATE)     18 November 2011

He is not entitled to claim any share in the property as the property bequethed under the Will shall devolve upon the beneficiaries i.e, your friend and his brother.  Moreoever, ask your friend to file a suit in the civil court for declaration  of the owners of the property, joining his mother and brother as plaintiffs and his brother-in-law as defendant to safe guard his and his brother's interest in the said property. 

Regards,

Gopalakrishnan

sivakumar anand (MANAGER)     18 November 2011

Thank your Mr Gopalakrishnan for your prompt reply and solution.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register