Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Temp (-)     07 August 2009

Partition of ancestral land

Hi

My grandfather expired in 2003. He had a agricultural land and a house in his name. He did not prepare any will. He had 3 sons and 3 daughters. The daughters are married before 1985. So i wish to know if the daughters are entitled a share of the land and the house or not as per the Hindu Succession Act. I had read somewhere on the forum that if the daughters are married before 1985 then they do not hold a share in the property. Is this true? Also does the law vary in different states?

Learning

3 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     07 August 2009

According to the latest amendment of the Hindu Succession Act, daughters too have right in the ansectral property as per S.6.: Devolution of interest in coparcenary property.-(1) On and from the commencement of the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005, in a Joint Hindu family governed by the Mitakshara law, the daughter of a coparcener shall,- (a) by birth become a coparcener in her own right in the same manner as the son; (b) have the same rights in the coparcenary property as she would have had if she had been a son; (c) be subject to the same liabilities in respect of the said coparcenary property as that of a son, and any reference to a Hindu Mitakshara coparcener shall be deemed to include a reference to a daughter of a coparcener: Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall affect or invalidate any disposition or alienation including any partition or testamentary disposition of property which had taken place before the 20th day of December, 2004.

aruntrivedi (lawyer)     08 August 2009

Learmed Friend Vishal is right - sisters can release right in same prodperty

Attached File : 48 release deed-specimen.doc downloaded: 229 times

sushant (advocacy)     08 August 2009

whether daughter are getting copasnery right after amendment?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register