Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hemkumar (Software)     25 April 2013

Not serving the notice period

Dear guru's,

I joined a company in the month of jan2013, and i resigned the same on 31st jan 2013, since i didnt like the work environment and the job did not match upto my skill and by the way i got a good offer with better postion so i joined there and work is going smooth. Actually i have to serve a 2months notice period in this company but i couldnt serve this since i had to join the new company immedietly, Now the previous company sent me a letter asking me to pay Rs.67,400 and i have not taken any salary from this company for the month of Jan2013, and have also not taken any reliving letter from this company since its not going to be helpful for me also the company has not given me any tasks during the month of jan2013. Now the company has sent me  a letter that if am not paying the amount they will take a legal action on me. Now this is tourchering my mind what should i do now, am not in a position to pay the money, will this legal action would affect me?

Regards,

Hemkumar R

Learning

5 Replies

Hemkumar (Software)     25 April 2013

Further i am not subjected to any bond and the offer letter tells that, if notice period is not served then the company will not give any relieving letter and the settlement would be the sole discretion of the management.

Regards,

Hemkumar R

Crusader (freelancer)     26 April 2013

To my understading, if the offer letter or job contract doesn't explicitly states that if two months notice period is not served then you'll be subject to salary sacrifice for that period then you aren't oblized to pay them. Also, you are requried to be paid for the work you have done in that compay - what about that, did you ask them to pay what you have worked for? I think you should CC every higher management - CEO/MD in India and abroad (if it's MNC) about this callous approach. This has helped some cases in the past. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 April 2013

The letter given to you is offer letter or appointment letter?

If appointment letter is not issued even after a month it amounts to unfair labor practices.

You have not drawn any salary also……..

------Were your services under probation while you resigned? If yes 2 month’s notice period under probation is highly unreasonable.

IT/ITES companies are under the purview of Shops and Commercial Establishments Act of the state. This Act is applicable to all employees and does not indiscriminate between workman and non workman. The Act and contact details of the Inspector/Chief Inspector may be available at the Dept. of labor website of the state……….

e.g.;

SE Act Delhi:

30. Notice of Dismissal:

(2)  No  employee  who  has  put  in  three  months’  continuous  service  shall  terminate  his employment unless he has given to his employer a notice of at least one month, in writing.

{This implies for service below 3 month’s no Notice period/pay is applicable.}

COMMENTS

(a)    Applicability of section 30:

In the absence of any standing orders or any contract between the employer  and  the  contesting  respondent  containing  any  particular  terms  or  conditions,  the conditions of service of the employee relating to his employment in an establishment at Delhi are covered by section 30(1) of Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954

(b) Notice or wages in lieu thereof under section 30—When to be given?

A plain reading of section 30 of the Act would make it clear that……………… the notice under sub- section (2) is for the benefit of the employer.

{Obviously the 2 month’s notice period is for the benefit of employer.}

Did the company mention any performance pay, incentives, commission in offer letter, CTC sheet?

The company was not able to provide any tasks and hence work to employee, thus it was not bale to live up to its contractual obligations. Hence it became unworthy of being employed with. In such a case out of shame, company should on its own waive off notice period be it probationer or any other employee.

34.    Employer  to  furnish  letters  of  appointment  to  employees:

Failure  to  issue  appointment  letters  under  section  34  of  the  Act  to  the  employee amounts to ‘unfair labour practice’ resorted to deprive them of the benefits which accrue to  them  due  to  the  length  of  their  service;

37. Powers and duties of the Inspector:

(b) Duties of the Inspector:

(i)  that in dispensing with the services of an employee the provision of the Act and Rules

have  been  complied  with  and  no  dues  payable  under  the  Act  or  Rules  have  been

Withheld;

{You may approach the Inspector for payment of wages of the period you have worked}

-----The designation alone does not decide employee is a workman or not.

Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that you fall within the category of workman.

You may go thru the standing orders of the company/model standing orders:

13.                Termination of employment:

(2)   No temporary workman whether monthly-rated, weekly-rated or piece-rated and no probationer or badli shall be entitled  to any notice or  pay in lieu thereof if his services are terminated

{Implies notice period is not applicable to probationer}

11.                Payment of wages., 

15.  Complaints.--All complaints arising out of employment including those relating to unfair treatment or wrongful exaction on the part of the employer or his agent, shall be submitted to the manager or other person specified in this behalf with the right of appeal to the employer.

16.  Certificate on termination of service.--Every permanent  workman shall be entitled to a service certificate at the time of his dismissal, discharge or retirement from service.

NOTE. - There is a provision under  this  Act for issuing a service certificate at the time of  dismissal, discharge or retirement and every person is entitled to take such certificate.

17. Liability of 17[employer].-,  18.  Exhibition of standing orders.—

------THE PAYMENT OF WAGES ACT, 1936

{Applicable to all employees drawing wages up to Rs.18000/pm as per def. of wages in the Act}

2. Definitions:

3*[(vi) "wages" means…………..

(d) any sum which by reason of the termination of employment of the person employed

is payable under any law, contract or instrument which provides for the payment of such sum,

whether with or without deductions, but does not provide for the time within which the payment is

to be made;

5. Time of payment of wages.

6. Wages to be paid in current coin or currency notes.

5*[Provided that the employer may, after obtaining the written authorisation of the employed person, pay him the wages either by cheque or by crediting the wages in his bank account.]

You may approach a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer and lodge a compliant under SE Act, ID Act, Payment of Wages Act/or as deemed fit at your end and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

Attached File : 519774302 delhi shops & establishments act, 1954.pdf downloaded: 184 times

VENKATESH HEGDE (ADVOCATE)     04 March 2015

Dear All,

My fried is also facing  the same situation. He is working from last 2 years. but he has not confirmed till now. On his appointment letter he will be in a probationary period till 6 month at the first instance & he will continue to be on probation until he has given a written confirmation . After confirmation, he has to serve 1 month notice. He has got increment & revised salary also. Now is it necessary to serve one month notice ? or he can relieve by serving 1 week notice ? Please advise. 

Thank you,

Regards 

Venkatesh 

Shantanu Kulkarni   22 July 2018

Dear All,

Need your help immediately.

I have resigned from my current company, and the resignation has been approved by my dept head and he mailed to HR Dept. saying that relieve him on 24 july. But now, HR head is not allowing to relieve without serving notice period(60days) which I cannot complete due to my family's major issues.

My salary has been put on hold from last month. How can I come out of it. Please advice.

Thanks In Advance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register