LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

socially backward (Social worker)     28 May 2022

Neglect of daughter by father

Daughter aged 17 years is brought up single handedly by and other expenses were incurred by mother who has a job with Government.Father,a govt employee too, stayed away for 12 years from mother and daughter  and didn't incur a single penny for them.Even,did not give his SC certificate to daughter to procure  Schedule Caste certificate for her,as the father belonged to SC category.Never enquired about her well being,studies etc,never stood by her.In 2019 her mother had to move to court for a decree of divorce and in mediation,they agreed for divorce,and  the father agreed to meet her daughter regularly as per her convenience.But he didn't meet her or called her.afterwards.

The divorce case is still pending.Now,what action should be taken against such neglect by father?


 5 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     28 May 2022

As on date, there is no verdict/judgment that can legally bind the father.  Nothing prevents daughter meeting her father without ego problems.

MUKUND KUMAR (Lawyer)     28 May 2022

As per the discribed situation, the filed case is of decree of divorce and it does'nt inquire for any remedy of said neglect caused by father wowards daughter.


SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     28 May 2022


Yes, you have to obtain a divorce decree against your husband and get complete custody of your daughter. 

You can file a maintenance application for your daughter. It is for him to visit his daughter and meet her. 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 May 2022

@ Socially Backward,

Father has no role in grant or reject of SC certificate of his 17 years old daughter, it is to be decided by concerned authorities, where the girl has applied for a SC Certificate. The action (or inaction) of father on this count can not be inferred to be "neglect" as stated by you.

Wife can seek divorce on the ground of desertion and any other as advised by her lawyer.

Visitation right of father can be demanded and shall be granted by court, however, it is wish of the child to meet her father or refuse.

What is your locus standi to the facts vis-a-vis query ?


Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     04 June 2022

The mother has to enforce maintenance expenses from the father and also file maintenance case for future expenses and also when daughter gets married for marriage expenses and also if the daughter is bright and expects to study professional courses / study abroad, those expenses can be claimed from father.  Take proper legal course against negligent father.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register