30% OFF on all Law Courses until 10th of July. Enroll Now. Use Code: July30
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

MATHEW (PROGRAMMER)     15 August 2019

Name issue due to initials in south india

Dear Sir/Madam,

In south India initials before name is very common. The surname/family name ( truly there is no surname used in south india) and father's name

are abreviated as initials. Eg. My name P.M.Mathew  ( P-Pulinthitta -family name, M-Mammen-Name  of Father, Mathew -own name). I have simply 

expanded the initials as Pulinthitta Mammen Mathew when passport was made long back. But later on when Name, Surname and name of father are separately asked in documents such as PAN, Aadhar , Election Id, Driving License etc. the Name is -Mathew Mammen Pulinthitta, which is in right order.

Now when the renewal of passport is due, how to make the name there also same as Aadhar ? Also all my certificates,office records, Banks   have name as P.M.Mathew. Now banks have accepted my Aadhar for KYC with out any issue.

Will this issue due to initials in a different order ( Surname, Father name, own name) can cause problems later on for pensions an dother legal requirements ?

Please advice what to do ?  It is not a change of Name. But the order differs in south india and north india due to use of initials.

When I tried in Online gezette for change of name there is no provision as my name a sper Aadhar is correct.

Is any affidavit and news paper ad stating that both these are same will do ?









 3 Replies

Shashi Dhara   15 August 2019

Swear affidavit before notary or jmfc and publish it in local news paper.and keep it.

Isaac   15 August 2019

It is better to publish the name as you deem necessary in the Gazatte so as to avoid any difficulties late.

1 Like

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     16 August 2019

1.  The name on Aadhar & PAN cards have to match in manner of  "First name .... Fathers name .... surname", for it to be legally effective for all incoming & outgoing transactions of movable & immovable properties and any other govt. records.  IF this is not in above order, THEN it shall result in grave difficulties.

2.  File proper application for name change /rectification etc.... via a govt. gazettee, by following proper procedure of law, consequent to which copy of the said gazettee shall need to be produced at time of new passport, ITR returns, govt. depts, for change in all records & registers affecting your interests.  There is no other easier way and mere news paper publications or any other methods are legally infructuous.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT:  www.chshelpforum.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query