Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

life is beautifull   25 February 2021

My collage not returning my original certificates

Hello sir 

I'm chandu  I discointuned my btech  in 2nd year 2020   but the  college was not returning my 10&12   original certificates  and they demanding fee for remaining two years if I want certificates . Back  pls help  me out thiz suitation sir

Learning

3 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   27 February 2021

According to your query, it would be relevant that you approach a Consumer Court which has suitable jurisdiction over the place you reside or over the place your college is located.

For this you would need to submit a formal complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. You need not hire a lawyer for filing the suit. Fill this complaint form and submit it to the commission. On a plain paper, mention the details of the complainant and the opposite party. Otherwise, you can consult consumer grievance redressal forums which also help consumers in filing and forming petition at nominal charges. One such non-governmental organisation is International Consumer Rights Protection Council.

The consumer should file the complaint in the district forum which has under its jurisdiction the other party's residence or office of profit or the area where the project is located.

You have to submit the fee through a demand draft. The consumer forum follows difference jurisdiction to entertain complaint:

If the claim is for less than Rs 20 lakh, the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum will hear the plea.
If the claim is for more than Rs 20 lakh but less than Rs 1 crore, the State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission will entertain the complaint.
If the claim is more than Rs 1 crore, the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission will attend to the plea.

The Format for such a complaint application would contain information as given below:-

BEFORE THE CONSUMER DISPUTES REDRESSAL COMMISSION (WRITE THE PLACE)
COMPLAINT No.__________ OF
IN THE MATTER OF:
(Name and address of the complainant) Complainant
Versus
(Name and address of the opposite party)

The Fee details according to which an individual should proceed to a Consumer Court are discussed down below.

For District Forums:-
Up to Rs 1 lakh: Rs 100
Between Rs 1-5 lakh: Rs 200
Between Rs 5-10 lakh: Rs 400
Above Rs 10 lakh and up to Rs 20 lakh: Rs 500

For State Forums:-
Above Rs 20 lakh but less than Rs 50 lakh: Rs 2,000
Above Rs 50 lakh and up to Rs 1 crore: Rs 4,000

For the National Commission:-
A standard amount of Rs 5,000

Hope It Helps

Regards
Kevin M. Paul

P. Venu (Advocate)     27 February 2021

Retaining original certificates is impermissible, whatever be the alleged justification. It amounts to  criminal offence of extortion.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     01 March 2021

Now UGC/HRD/State Governments have given clear-cut directions, that original certificates should not be retained by colleges for recovery of fees.  Search UGC website.  In case of such refusals, the college may also lose it's recognition status for violation of the directive.

Simply issue a notice demanding the principal to return the original certificates as per UGC directives. Make this a copy to UGC and the college is bound to return the certificate within 15 days of receiving such notice.

This does not mean that they are not having the right to recover such dues, as they have actually incurred the loss due to the abandoning of the course by the student, and they will certainly explore the possibility of recovering such dues with interest.   This is their right and a separate issue.

The issue with certificates is they were handed over for verification and they are not offered as security for fees..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register