Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

T.Sridhar Singh (n/a)     06 December 2010

Mother in law`s property can be share to her grand sons?

Hi,

This case regarding my sister, Eight months back my sister`s husband got expired, she has two children, there are just 3yrs and another boy 4 months, she does not has any source of income. My question is regarding property.

As the property is register on my sister`s mother in law`s name and that property was gifted from her father, so can we try for any legal help for share? and as she does not has any source of income can we try for monthly expenses case against my sister`s mother in law? Please guide me.

Thanking you.   

Learning

7 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     06 December 2010

The mother-in-law's property (even though she might have got it from her father) is her private property.  During her life time, no one [including her own son(s) and daughter(s)] can claim any share therefrom.  As such, your sister or the children of your sister cannot make any claim for a share from the said property.

T.Sridhar Singh (n/a)     06 December 2010

Thanks for your mail, then can we claim for any expenses  as like monthly some amount as expenses for her grand children.  As she is not at all willing to give a single bug to my sister.  And I just wanted to know is there any law for widows rights and her children.

(Guest)

The law of the rights of the widow applies only  to the estate of the deceased husband alone. not of the mother 

SACHIN AGARWAL (ADVOCATE)     09 December 2010

I agree with Mr. Ganeshan.

1 Like

T.Sridhar Singh (n/a)     09 December 2010

Could you please explain me in deep.....

B.S. CHHABRA, (Advocate)     09 December 2010

There is a ruling of the Supreme Court of India which rules in favour of  daughter in law's right in the property of her in-laws. I had seen it in JT quite some time back. You may contact me on legallhelpp@yahoo.in after 3-4 days so that I may search this ruling and email it to you.

T.Sridhar Singh (n/a)     15 December 2010

There is a ruling of the Supreme Court of India which rules in favour of  daughter in law's right in the property of her in-laws. I had seen it in JT quite some time back. You may contact me on legallhelpp@yahoo.in after 3-4 days so that I may search this ruling and email it to you...... If it is there please let me know..... I am waiting for your kind reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register