LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Iman Kalyan (IT Engineer)     20 February 2015

Marriage registry cancellation

Hello everybody, I need some help regarding a marriage cancellation issue. One of my friend had done the registry marriage in Nov, 2009 with his girlfriend without the consent of their family members when he was in college. Later on, they decided to separate from each other. Now they have applied for the divorce. The divorce will be processed withing couple of months in 2015. They never lived with each other. They both were staying with their parents. My friend is in a relationship with another girl and they want to do the registry marriage now. Is it possible to do that before cancelling the previous one(registry marriage)? If so, then what is the procedure to go ahead with this one? Your valuable suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Learning

3 Replies

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     20 February 2015

First he has to get divorce decree from the competent court and then only he can go for another marriage.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     20 February 2015

It will amount to bigamy under sec 494 and will invite seven years imprisonment.above all the second marriage is void

Iman Kalyan (IT Engineer)     20 February 2015

Thank you everyone for the valuable advice. One more thing I need to know. The final hearing in the court of the divorce will occur in the month of june, 2015. Can he(my friend) apply for the marriage registration with his new partner in the same month? Is there any notice period he has to give after the separation with his first partner? Awaiting for an early reply. Thank you 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register