LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shiva   17 December 2017

Marriage in south India

Sir.... Can a girl marry her mom's elder brother's son? As they both are loving each other sir plz help me by giving answer as they are planning to marry..

Learning

13 Replies

KISHAN DUTT KALASKAR (Advocate)     17 December 2017

1. Yes they can marry as per South Indian Customs.

2. Verify backgroudn fof the prospective groom

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     17 December 2017

No. Barred by law.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 December 2017

Mere being in South India does not neccessarily mean that anyone can cite customs.

It is the customs of the community to which you belong.

And the customs that are proven and have sanction of law...

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     20 December 2017

What you are asking is whether cross cousins can marry.  In Tamil a girl, who is a cross cousin is called mora-pon. Morpon means a bride by customary right. In Tamil and Telugu speaking people a girl is mora-pon even for her maternal uncle. These are customary for all castes. I do not think there is a register giving the list of communities, within which such marriages are permitted and customary. Even judges would not know unless advised by one of the contending lawyers. When does the question of the validity of a marriage come? It comes only when the marriage is challenged for any reason. Here in this Forum  I saw a message that a person was denied German visa, because he had married a woman, who was allegedly within his prohibited degree of relationship. Prohibited marriages can lead to 'scandals' when one looks for a match within the caste for the boy or girl born in such a marriage. If you are madly in love with each other forget the world, go ahead and marry. Heavens would not fall.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 December 2017

Marriage as per customs or against customs and provisions of personal law is personal matter.

Wrong decisions affect both families as well.

Such decisions  having long lasting stigma or effects should be taken carefully and preferably in consultation with elders of the family, both sides.

Rest is personal decision as already posted.

Shiva   21 December 2017

The boy is 20 year old and he is the son of the girl's mother's elder brother and the girl is 23 years old.... So by the age gap and the relationship will b good fr marriage as thy both decided to marry by telling to their families but Im seeking legal support fr this issue... So kindly thus it will b favourable fr us... As we r looking a great future but the legal support will also provide us a backbone to us

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     22 December 2017

Please share what is the mother tongue and caste/community of the boy and girl.

Shiva   23 December 2017

Hindu sir both belong to Hindu community

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 December 2017

Man should be 21 years old for marriage.

AS per your post man is 20Y.

So he should wait for marriage.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     23 December 2017

Just being Hindus is not enough. I surmise that your mother tongue is not any of the South Indian languages. You cannot marry as you are within prohibited degree of relationship for marriage under the Hindu Marriages Act, 1955.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 December 2017

Dr. Ramani has rightly changed his earlier opinion and in time.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     24 December 2017

I have not changed my opinion. I have only stated the position in law.  If the two belonged to one of the communities ( Tamil speaking or Telugu speaking) where marriage between cross-cousins is customary, my advice would have been same as before. Thousands of such marriages take place every year.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     24 December 2017

Even sister's daughter (niece) is considered Morappon (bride by right) in most Tamil communities.  One can see this phenomenon in Tamil films and Tamil serials. The term "Mama" in Tamil applies equally to maternal uncle, husband, elder sister's husband and father-in-law.  If a girl marries her maternal uncle, her maternal grand-mother will also be her mother-in-law. As there will be natural affection between grand mother and grand daughter there will be no mother-in-law daughter-in-law conflict. The father-in-law also gets an opportunity for revenge. He can demand dowry from his son-in-law, who would have extracted dowry from him some 20 years before. What I state here are not necessarily my opinion.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register