LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sumeer   20 June 2015

Marital status on passport

I married in the year 2013 and got a marriage certificate issued after 45 days of marriage. I went to honeymoon trip along with her for singapore & australia after the issue of the marriage certificate. She deserted me after 6 months of marriage without any reasonable cause or justifiable reasons and after applied for divorce under sec.13(1) after a year of marriage.

Then i submitted the list of objections along with evidences against her petition with false & baseless allegations. Immediately after that, she & her brother requested for compromise of suit under order 23 rule 3 by mutually withdrawing all allegations made against each other and agreed to drop demand for alimony and  legal rights on me after the decree of divorce.

Now, iam divorced and legally free, but i dont want myself to be called a divorcee (since it was not my choice) for emotional and psychological reasons.

I had appplied and got a passport nearly 10 years ago and the same is due for renewal in a few months. Now, i would like to know whether i could mention my marital status as 'single' instead of 'divorced'.

Now, being legally free from my ex-wife and the marriage certificate being no longer valid after the decree, let me know whether i could mention my status as 'single' in the passport renewal application as well as in all other places. I had not mentioned 'married' status anywhere before except for the singapore & australian tourist visa applications for honeymoon travel. Let me know whether there are any legal implications.

Thanks in advance. 

Learning

1 Replies

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     20 June 2015

You can put it as Single unless status change recently.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register