LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     14 February 2009

Legalities

My company had filed a winding up petition in the High Court and I interacted with the firm of solicitors which represented the company. In that connection I had t visit the office of the Solicitors. There was a lady advocate who, while briefing me, always referred to the judge as "his worship" and "his lordship". It was so sickening that I walked out of her office. Can't we get over this servility?

Learning

5 Replies

Vinodkumar Kotabagi (Advocate and Trademark Attorney)     14 February 2009

Dear Sir, for your kind information, let me inform all the readers that the Bar Council of India has already issued a notification way back in 2006 putting restriction on the use of the words "Your Lordship" and "My Lord".

Now, the advocates can address the courts as either Honourable Court or Your Honour in case of High Courts and Supreme Court and Sir for subordinate court judges. 

But the practise of addressing the Courts which we have been following since two centuries cannot be overcome in just two years. It will take time.

For more reading on this matter visit: https://www.hindu.com/2006/04/20/stories/2006042017110100.htm

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     15 February 2009

I am not talking of courts. The lady was referring to the judge as His Worship and His Lordship in her chamber. Perhaps she was too much taken by her position as a lawyer or overawed by the judges.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     15 February 2009

When we can't get over the slavery of wearing tie in a suffocating and sultry climate of India, it is quite natural that we cannot leave addressing the courts as My Lord or Your Worship. I fail to understand why they are not addressed My Father. It was the slavery of Muslims for 1000 years and then the slavery of English for another 200 years that has gone into our blood. We are masters in apeing the Englishmen. Jurisprudence is English, language is English, our dress is English, our lifestyle is English, our archaic laws are English. We swear by everything English. You are right 1000 years slavery can't go away in one day.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     15 February 2009

Dear Anil and Vinod,

Let me first of all say don't keep dirt in the mind when we suggest some thing for the good of a community. What prejudice you if a lady lawyer in her chamber uses some words which she may use as usual. There is a saying that only if the Advocate respects the bench the client respects the bench. So an Advocate may use your honour, my lord etc for her professional satisfaction. How a client is prejudiced. Sir Anil, please allowe the Advocate community still hang on the salvery of British. It won't in any way hurt the patriotic sentiments of a citizen.

Vinodkumar Kotabagi (Advocate and Trademark Attorney)     15 February 2009

Dear K.C. Suresh, thanks for the comments. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register