LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gwadhwa   22 January 2016

Leakage caused by the flat on the floor above mine

There has been excessive sepage from the flat on floor above mine which has caused the POP to fall in the 2 bathrooms & drawing room. Moreover the kitchen wall is also full of sepage and recently there is water dripping as well. I've been speaking to the landlord on multiple ocaasions for the past 8 years and he has been trying to evade. I got the complete water proofing alongwith interiors done in my house 7 years ago. But now for the past 2 years the sepage has increased. His son has come back saying that if you have problems in your house eventhough its from my house, you get it fixed. I had spoken to the society president who didn't pay heed to any of my requests. The POP in the bathroom fell on my head, however I didn't suffer any injuries. I had informed the then tenant and the landlord but they felt I was overreacting. This is also a life threatning condition. Their tenant stayed in the flat for many years but also kept complaining that the landlords are very careless and didn't want to pay for any maintenence while he was living there and a result of this a lot of things were ruined. The landlord is getting the paintwork done but has refused to get any plumbing work done. Can I stop him for giving the house on rent again till he gets the plumbing done.

Request you to please guide me on the future course as my house condition is getting worse by the day    

Learning

3 Replies

Moreover the landlords son is in the armed forces so he has also made that very candid that none of my complaints will work as he has enough contacts to make it an open and shut case

saravanan s (legal advisor)     22 January 2016

you and the tenant occupying the above floor can get a quote from the plumber and send it to the concerned owner asking them to fix the leakage within a stipulated period failing which you both will do the repair works by yourself and reduce the amount from the rent to be paid

Thanks saravanan. The tenant on the floor above me is no longer there and the landlord is getting his house repainted to put it on rent again. And I happen to be the owner of the flat which is getting affected by the seepage in that house. So there is no rent involved. We are both owners and he has refused to get any plumbing work done at his cost. He wants me to pay for the plumbing job in his house and that's the problem

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register