LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

THANGADURAI (Proprietor)     16 June 2012

Is unsigned cheque eligible for collection by the recepient

I have issued post dated cheques to GIC for repayment of my housing loan. I have given those cheques well in advance. In fact I have given those cheques in a set of 6nos during Nov.2011. Of that 2 Nos of cheques were not signed by me. I found the discrepency only now as the cheques were presented and bounced at my bank. I would like to know the legality of the problem. The GIC could have verified well in advance and intimated to me in this regard. Cheques without signatures are not valid, to my knowledge. How can a housing finace company being a corporate body not aware of these things. I request an expert advice from the forum. Thanking you in anticipation.

Learning

1 Replies

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     16 June 2012

The question of legality comes if you receive any legal notice. I think it was an oversight on your part not to sign the chqs, and on GIC's part as well to have presented the unsigned chqs for collection. Just pay the amounts to them by issuing fresh chq/demand draft/pay order, and take up the matter with GIC so that the other chqs are checked for any discrepancy.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register