LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav Nanda (Pursuing Ph.D. in law)     24 November 2016

Income tax for students

31 year old unmarried male Ph.D. student, I don't have any scholarship and I am getting rs 25000 per month from my father. Is my this income taxable?


 6 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     24 November 2016

Yes! it is taxable. Anything in excess of Rs.200000/-per annum is taxable in India. Your income per annum exceeds 2lakhs you will be proportionlly taxed accordingto slab rates.

If you appreciate this answer pleas  convey my forum thanks by clicking thanks.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     24 November 2016

Your father is sending the amount, and he may be earning more and sent the amount after paying such taxes.  There is no need for you to pay further tax as you are dependent on him.

1 Like

Gaurav Nanda (Pursuing Ph.D. in law)     24 November 2016

The money that I receive from my father is sort of maintenance for me, as I am dependent upon him, further when he has already paid tax, then how can this money be again taxed in my hands? One expert above is saying it is taxable and other expert is saying not taxable, please I request other experts in the forum to join and clarify

Narayan (Software developer)     24 November 2016

Not taxable , if  your father is already paying tax on this money.

Then you need not to give any tax.

In common man word it is Pocket Money which is  not taxable


Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 November 2016

Ask your father to send say soem email every month mentioning that Rs..................are sent to you for..............

Srinivasan (Tax Consultant)     29 November 2016

Yes GLN Prasad is Correct. If you are dependent on your parents it is not taxable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register