LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     13 January 2009

How to become a Supreme Court lawyer?

Please enlighten me on the following aspects

1. is there any exam one has to write to practice in supreme court.

2. is there any minimum years of practice in high court or in any other court is required to practice in supreme court.

3. any other qualification is required to practice in the supreme court. i am law student with an asporation to practice in the supreme court of india.

kindly help my way out.


 10 Replies

Manish Singh (Advocate)     13 January 2009

evry advocate has a right to practice anywhere including the SC but you can file anything in the SC unless you RE an andocate on record. to become advocate on record you need to practice at least 4-5 years(not sure of the period) n then you shall have to take an examination. if you clear it you will be an adocte on record then.

Adv.Shine Thomas (Advocate)     13 January 2009

5 years High Court practice is required to take the examination.


SHINE THOMAS, PL. INFORM under which rule book it is mentioned , i eger to give exam.

Manish Singh (Advocate)     14 January 2009

No its not the HC practice but its a SC practice that is required to be eligible for the exm.

Manish Singh (Advocate)     15 January 2009

5. No advocate shall be qualified to be registered as an advocate on record2[four] years on the date of


of the Advocates-on-Record Examination he shall continue to be so

eligible to sit in any subsequent examination;]

Provided however, if any candidate has earlier appeared in any


approved by the Court, and has thereafter passed such tests as may

be held by the Court for advocates who apply to be registered as

advocates on record particulars whereof shall be notified in the Official

Gazette from time to time provided however that-

(a) an attorney shall be exempted from such training and test; and

(ii) he has undergone training for one year with an advocate on record


Society shall be exempted from such training and test if his/her name

is, and has been borne on the roll of State Bar Council for the period

(aa) a solicitor on the rolls of the Bombay Incorporated Law

for the period not less than seven years on the date of making the application

for registration as an advocate-on-record;]

(b) the Chief Justice may, in appropriate cases, grant exemption-

(1) from the requirement of training under this clause in the case of

an advocate, whose name is borne on the roll of any State Bar

Council and has been borne on such roll for a period of not less than


[ten] years:


(b) (1) of Order IV, by the Supreme Court (First Amendment) Rules,

1988 shall be applicable to the Advocates who are enrolled with a

State Bar Council on or after 30-7-1988 when the aforesaid

amendment came into force;] and

(2) from the requirement of clause (i) and from training under this

clause in the case of an advocate having special knowledge or

experience in law.

(iii) he has an office in Delhi within a radius of 16 kilometers from the

Court House and gives an undertaking to employ, within one month

of his being registered as advocate on record, a registered clerk; and

(iv) he pays a registration fee of twenty-five rupees.]

[Provided however that the amendments made in rule 5(i) and 5(ii)


turpitude shall not be eligible, unless the said conviction has been

stayed or suspended by any Court, to appear in the tests referred to

in clause (ii) of rule 5, on and from the date of such conviction and

thereafter for a period of two years with effect from the date he has

served out the sentence, or has paid the fine imposed on him, or has

served out the sentence and paid the fine imposed on him, as the

case may be:

[5A. (1) An advocate who has been convicted of an offence involving moral

Provided that the Chief Justice may, if he thinks fit so to do, relax the provisions

of this rule in any particular case or cases.

(2) Nothing in clause (i) shall apply to an advocate who has been released on

probation of good conduct or after due admonition and no penalty has been imposed

thereafter in the manner provided under the provisions of the Probation of Offenders

Act, 1958 (20 of 1958) or under section 360 of the Code of Criminal Procedure,

1973 (2 of 1974).]

unless: -

(i) his name is, and has been borne on the roll of any State Bar Council

for a period of not less than

commencement of his training as provided hereinafter:

Manish Singh (Advocate)     15 January 2009


Abhishek (law student)     24 January 2009

well....thnx everyone here...i got to learn a lot 4m ur talks...

ritu bhadana (advocate)     11 March 2009

 really gud info........

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     14 March 2009

after passing LL.B get enrolled in state bar council and go to supreme court. u r authorised to argue the cases. for filing purposes take help of advocate on record. wait and try to become advocate on record after 5

Solicitor Chirag Shah (Advocate & Solicitor)     24 September 2013

Good info Manish..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query