Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Maya (Resort owner)     22 December 2012

Hindu-muslim marriage


Im a hindu girl married to a Muslim. We had a court marriage (Special Act) as well as a Nkkah. My inlaws had my name changed for the Nikkah. However I havent changed this name in my passport or other papers. My question is what really is my official name? I should also add that Im not happy changing my name. I'd like to keep my old name but add my husbands surname. Please help. Thanks in advance!

 8 Replies



In your case you have done an inter-cast marriage which false under special marriage act.1956 as per Law.

After that you did the Nikha as per Sharya law which abandon a Muslim to marry a Non-Muslim. If anyone wants to marry a Muslim person he/she has to accept and make faith in Islam & its principle. Else that marriage is haram (illegal) as per Sharya Law.

Now after your acceptance of Islam as your religion you should be known by your Islamic name however Islam does not put any pressure to anyone for the same you can keep your previous name and also can add your husband surname by using the marriage certificate.

Finally one advice that Islam is not only a religion it teaches the way to live life in disciplined way. So if you accept Islam as religion try to know it closely.

Best wishes for your future and married life.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     22 December 2012

Agree to fluid reply as in above. Value adding, it is suggested to give two local paper advertisement inserts of name change and retain full page of the name change appearing in local newspaper and then follow it up by Gazette Notifying Name Change (your Hindu name and adding surname of Muslim husband) and buy one too many spare copies of such Gazette notification for changing in all public documents including fresh passport.

After name change insert in local newspaper followed by Gazette notification you will be known to everyone by your old name followed by Muslim husband’s surname.

The above suggested procedure for name change officially is simple and very straightforward, just dial newspaper sales agent locally and ask for name change insert details later once it appear ask same advertisement agent to give you address of Gazette Office and from there pick up official Form and follow instructions therein.

Chetan Joshi (Advisory/Advocacy)     22 December 2012

You can keep whatever name you like, You will continue to be Hindu. I am presuming that the court marriage happened first....








Maya (Resort owner)     22 December 2012

Thank you brother! My intentions are not against the religion but just he name.I'm trying my best to make the transition easier for my parents as well my in-laws and ofcourse myself! Thanks again for the suggestion and the legal help! Salam.

Maya (Resort owner)     22 December 2012

Thanks for the help! Will look into it right away.

Maya (Resort owner)     22 December 2012

Originally posted by : Chetan Joshi

You can keep whatever name you like, You will continue to be Hindu. I am presuming that the court marriage happened first....

Thats precisely what's happened. It was the special marriage first and then the Nikah.







i m not against ur marriage but ur this theory of changing the name, remain hindu why can ur husband be hindu, if u r open minded then why u want to change ur name, can u change ur father & mother...!

ABHISHEK KUMAR VATSA (Freelancer)     30 December 2012

hi maya,

first of all a good news for u your name is very preety nd u dont have to change it :) nd why so? because in case u get married under hindu marriage act or muslim marriage act then there arise quesstion of conversion and all .and always remember one thing the first marriage is legal under the eyes of law .And in your case your first marriage was accrdng special marriage act ,and this is the beauty of this act that keeping your faith and ppersonality you still can get into this divine union .have a happy life ahead.




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query