IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sankar (Software Engineer)     13 March 2014

Grandson rights over grandfather ancestor property

I am 30 years old now. My father expired in 1987. I was 4 years old, minor, during my father death. After my father death, My grandfather sold his property( which came from ancestor) without giving any share to us to third party in 1987. Can I claim that property now as I am grandson? What is the limitation property to claim?


 3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 March 2014

3Y from date of attaining majority i.e at age 21Y.

You may go thru:
Limitation Act: Sec 7, 60……………

Decision by : 

Full Bench of the Madras High Court
Madras High Court
Subramanyam vs Venkataraman And Ors. on 22 April, 1971
Equivalent citations: AIR 1972 Mad 3, (1971) 2 MLJ 323
Bench: Sadasivam, V Ramaswami

Madras High Court
Thulasi Ammal vs A.Sivakumar on 21 March, 2012




There are many threads on similar queries that you may find relevant e.g:




Attached File : 91192262 subramanyam vs venkataraman.docx, 91192262 thulasi ammal vs a.sivakumar on 21 march, 2012.docx downloaded: 148 times

sankar (Software Engineer)     14 March 2014

Thank you sir. So my claiming right has been expired. I never know about that We have to claim within 3 years after attaining the major.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 March 2014

Do not forget to consult a local lawyer handling such cases, with copies of all record and documents, give inputs in person and understand the merits and chances to claim.


Let your lawyer opine finally on the matter. You may proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query