Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

General insurnace policy cancellation rights

sir,

I had taken a bank home loan in the past and the bank added a fire and perils general insurance policy to it.i recently paid off the loan and want to get the above general insurance cancelled so that i could get a refund on the premium.please note the loan is taken for 25 years and i paid it in 6 yrs..so a premium refund on pro rate basis for around 20 yrs is expected as refund if i cancel it.

but the insurance company,which is a nationalized one,is asking for valid reason to cancel it. per my understanding on IRDA rules,both insurance company and I have the freedom to cancel it at will and i understand there is some penalty involved if I initiate the cancellation. ..and so what sort a valid reason is expected here and how to get this resolved amicably?

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 November 2013

I do not think whether you can cancel an Insurance police after 6 years of purchase.  What was the Insurance company asking you to submit? even prorata basis cancellation and refund of premium amount, in my opinion is not possible, see the conditions stated in the policy document

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register