Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

cad4567 (NONE)     21 November 2013

Divorced, maintenance pay & agreement final settlement now

Hi:

I am divorced and this was passed in the Family court in Mumbai. We have a child and the custody of the child has been given by the courts to her and as per the judgement I don't have any rights per se. Due to financial constraint, I have not been paying the maintenance and now I have decided that I will pay a lump sum amount she asked originally in the petition + the maintenance amount for the past years that I have not paid. We both started talking recently and we have mutually agreed to an amount as the final payment. This is through email and I have a written consent accepting the offer from her of my proposal of payment. She is a post graduate in finance and she is working now. I am quite certain the figure she quoted to me is vastly small to what she is getting as compensation from the company and its a multinational. What are the legal aspects that I should be concerned of in doing this?

A few of the aspects that I want to be aware of:

1) I want this to be the final and last payment and I don't want any other hassle later down the years is this possible? Can she go back and file some frivolous case against me (She has accused me of harassment, which I have not done and she asked an exhorbitant sum but the court has given a reasonable figure as maintenance)?

2) A curiosity, will I have any rights to the child after this payment or am I kissing goodbye to my child forever with the hope that one day she might contact and talk to me?

3) What would be the wordings in the document that I should concentrate on?

4) Since the divorce is granted and now it is mutually agreeable settlement what are the pitfalls and the problems to expect?

5) Is the email consent a valid proof in the court?

6) Considering that she is working and I am paying a substantial sum will she ask at a later stage for more?

7) Any other aspects that I should keep my eye open

8) Would appreciate if the members could give the procedures involved in such a scenario

9) After this agreement will she have any rights to the current property that I own or any future property that I may acquire and what about my child does she have rights?

10) I have heard that there are cases that she might after taking the money might claim further maintenance after a couple of years is that possible?

Apologies for the long list of question.

Thanks and regards for the forum members help

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More