LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ROHIT (STUDENT)     11 July 2008

about demand draft

prepared a some demand draft from my savings a/c in dec 2006 in favour of a govt authority, but i never submitted to them as the reason for which it was made got dissolved. now after one and a half year i got all of them cancelled except one . this one bank is asking for a discharge letter from the said govt authority , now when they have not accepted it how can they issue a discharge letter.should i go to consumer courts or where...to cancell this draft...can a bank refuse like that ..for my own money ....should i go to consumer court

Learning

4 Replies

umapathi.s (Advocate)     11 July 2008

DEAR ROHIT, The bank is not justified in asking from you discharge letter  before cancelling the Demand Draft which is usually demanded in case of Term Deposit Receipt and Bank Guarantee issued favouring the Government Bodies. give a letter requesting the banker to cancell the Demand Draft and if they refuse to cancel the same, ask them to give in writing the reason for their refusal. then you can  approach the Consumer court of your jurisidictiona. I feel the better approach is to approach the Regioanl or Head office  of the Bank. Alternatively you can also  approach the Banking Ombudsmen set up by the Reserve Bank of India. it is easy and time saving. you can get the details of the Banking Ombusmen from the same branch where you are having a problem since all the  branches of the bank are required to publish such details in the interest of the customers of the bank. regards

umapathi.s (Advocate)     11 July 2008

l

J. P. Shah (RTI & CONSUMER ACTIVIST)     12 July 2008

Omdusman details can be accessed at www. bankingombudsman.rbi.org.in and U have to approach the banking ombudsman of the state where branch is situated. But first represent the matter to Regional/zonal office by visiting website of the bank. There is customer complaint redressal mechanism in all bank and a nodal officer at H.O. for grievance redressal of customers. Pl.  give them 30 days time. Thereafter u can file complaint with ombudsman. In your case bank is wrong and U should claim amount of demand draft, interest, expenses and also compensation for loss of opportunity, mental tension and agony etc.  Pl  mention these claimin your letter to bank's regional/zonal office. I also suggest that after your signature on letter, mention the words "RTI IS THE MITE OF COMMON MAN OF INDIA" Things will move sympathetically and fast at the bank level only. All the best. 

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     13 March 2009

The  Bank after  gettign a confirmation  regarding  the fact that the amound under the Demadn Draft is not encashed by any  other duplciate DD  and its  Verifiction regardign DD amount was  not claimed from the bank by the person named  in the DD , the amount can be paid.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More