Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mak (sale)     09 April 2015

Query on divorce by mutual concern

Query on Divorce by Mutual concern

I have specific question on application for divorce by mutual Concern.

As i am living out of india and my spouse will soon want to file divorce by Mutual concern in India.

During all process of it when does my presence is required ? 

Does my presence is must/required at time of filling divorced application in court by her ?

Please guide me

Learning

12 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     09 April 2015

as far as mcd is concerned presence of both the parties is necessary at the time of filing first and second motion

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     09 April 2015

Does my presence is must/required at time of filling divorced application in court by her ?

By all means UR presence is mandatory.U are dealing with judiciary and a proxy(LAWYER) cannot take UR place.

U have to comply with the following:

Section 13B of the HMA Act 1955 provides for divorce by mutual consent.(period of separation is 1 year)
Section 28 of the Special marriage Act, 1954 provides for divorce by mutual consent.
Section 10A of the Divorce Act, 1869, provides for divorce by mutual consent (period of separation is 2 years)

The Conditions required under section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act are as follows:
(i) Husband and wife have been living separately for a period of one year or more,
(ii) That they are unable to live together,
(iii) And that both husband and wife have mutually agreed that the marriage has totally collapsed, Hence marriage should be dissolved.

ganesh rao (x)     10 April 2015

personal presence of both parties either at first motion or second motion is not a must.  they can be represented by their advocates and filing appropriate affidavits as stated in the judgments:

Delhi HC judgment 

Date of Reserve: September 05, 2008

Date of Order: September 19, 2008

CM(M) 1030/2008

Mr. Vinay Jude Dias ...Petitioner Through: Mr. Sandeep Sethi with

Mr. Anshu Mahajan and

Mr. Vikas Aggarwal, Advs.

Versus

Ms. Renajeet Kaur ...Respondent Through:

JUSTICE SHIV NARAYAN DHINGRA 

and in

Andhra High Court

Smt.Lakshmi Prasanna vs Counsel For The Petitioner: Sri ...

Civil Revision Petition No.875 of 2012

Sri S.B.Tirumal Raj

Smt.Lakshmi Prasanna 

1 Like

Mak (sale)     12 April 2015

Thank you Mr. Ganesh Rao

That mean presence is not required and must at first and second motion. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     12 April 2015

The presence of both the parties before the court is essential, the lawyer can represent at one time, but the court insist the presence and post it on next date for presence of both the parties, if either of the parties do not appear the case may decided to be dismissed, donot under go such risk.  The cited case above may not be a relevant issue tom your query.

ganesh rao (x)     12 April 2015

Pl. go thru the above citations in full.  Presence of both parties is not needed at any time as per these decisions.

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     12 April 2015

@ Ganesh rao sometimes citation alone can't resolve the legal issues. It depends on so many factors. It could be the case where parties may have taken virtual mode for the divorce motions in section 13B. The court should have adequate infrastructure to carry this forward. It all depends on the Judge who is chairing the court.

Do not mislead people if you are  not aware of the facts.

ganesh rao (x)     13 April 2015

the citations given are correct.  there was no virtual mode etc.    

The views/opinions expressed in this forum are for sharing knowledge.  before acting upon,  the persons have to approach a full fledged and reliable lawyer, cross check the views and then take appropriate action. 

in fact it is the lawyers that are mostly misleading the public.  i don't think mr. sandy has gone thru the citations in full.  and mr. sandy was saying"it all depends on the judge who is chairing the court"--true.  this statement applies to all types of courts and cases.  i have personally seek in high court, a judge saying that he won't read any of the citations given by the parties/advocates!   and did not take the citations that were sought to be presented during the arguments of the case.  such type of judges are there.

and i have seen a family court judge giving ex-party decisions, unilaterally [may be on account of some quid pro quo] and the same judge dismisses a petition filed for divorce and contested by both the parties;  the parties filed their chief affidavit and examined themselves and were cross examined by the opposite party;  but did not produce any witness on either side. The petition was dismissed as no witnesses were produced by either party.  On appeal, the high court granted divorce in favour of the petitioner.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     14 April 2015

Mr.Ganesh Rao,

I interpret UR answer to a certain extent. I shall give U an example: Two cases u/s 138 NI Act were going on in 2  MM Courts. The entire proceedings right from the statutory notice till the arguments were similar, and also the evidences produced. Judgements were as follows: One Magistrate convicted the accused that as U have given a cheque and it got bounced U have committed  a crime according too the act, hence  U are sentenced to undergo one yr simple imprisonment ( no fine imposed). The other  magistrate finding the accused guilty penalised him with double the cheque amount with simple interest plus court charges. Why variation in judgements  for similar cases.

Every judge will have his own mode of approach to the contents of the Act .

(Guest)

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     14 April 2015

Sheetalji,

U understand UR entire query, why did U tread into another query? U should post a new query, otherwise we will not be able to do justice to the original query.

Mak (sale)     16 April 2015

So what is the final conclusion on this inquiry ? As i found there are good amount of information exchange but for common man...what should be simple answer to this question ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More