LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Uday (Lawyer)     30 June 2009

First Charge, Attachment

We funded a property during 2004. When the account was declared NPA we possessed the property through SARFAESI proceedings. After we took over the possession of the property, 4 private attachments were made to the property.

My Queries are
i)                    Under these circumstances can we sell the property by declaring the known encumbrances?
ii)                  The value of the property is 20 Lakhs and the prospective purchaser is ready to buy the property for 20 Lakhs. If he purchases the property, is it his liability to pay clear the attachments?
Pls suggest us the remedy available to sell the property.

Learning

5 Replies

Mahesh (Asst. General Manager (Law))     30 June 2009

It seen that the attachments are made subsequent to the mortgage/charge created in favour of your bank. Hence the attachment does not have any priority over your charge and you can sell the property as provided in SRFAESI Rules. The buyer is also not liable to settle the charge created by attachment, as thorugh the sale, you have conveyed a better title to the buyer.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     30 June 2009

Mahesh is correct......pvt attachments have no such priority and are not protected under the Securitisation Act.

the pvt attachments will be recovered by the concerned lenders from the previous owner....pvt attachments are not secured debts.

ur buyer is safe.

Deekshitulu.V.S.R (B.Sc, B.L)     01 July 2009

I presume the property is already is mortgage. Hence it will have a priority and the subsequent attachment will not have any effect on you right to sell the property. Only thing is if any purchase money is remining with the Bank after satisfying it's dues this is to be kept in a suspense account so that it may be available to the attaching creditors. Meanwhile if the borrower takes theamount no body can do any things.

Uday (Lawyer)     02 July 2009

Is there any case law supporting this view?

Uday (Lawyer)     02 July 2009

My apologies for repeating the question. Is there any case law supporting the above views? Can you pls help me out with case laws and relevant provisions?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register