YOu must ne sure that the information provided is wrong.;
Public officials who deliberately delay or obstruct an application for information, or who deliberately provide incorrect or misleading information can be punished under the RTI laws.The Central Act allows for the imposition of penalties. Most notably, where a PIO has, without any reasonable cause:
- refused to receive an application;
- not furnished information within time limits;
- malafidely denied the request;
- knowingly given incorrect, incomplete or misleading information;
- destroyed information subject to a request;or
- obstructed the process,
The information commission can impose a penalty of Rs 250 per day. The total penalty cannot exceed Rs 25,000.
Before a penalty is imposed under s.20(1), an official must be given a reasonably opportunity of being heard. The official is responsible for providing that he/she acted reasonable and diligently.
under this act besides monetary penalty information commission can also recommend disciplinary action against PIO