LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Kumar (IT Professional)     17 November 2014

Ex-parte order of interim maintenance

I have got the Ex-parte Orders of Interim Maintenance in U/s 23(2) of PWDVA 2005, passed by ACJM, Allahabad Court in matter of Domestic Violence case filed by my wife.  After the case come to my knowledge I have examine the Court Record in which I have found the major faults and preparing  for counter / challenge this Order as well as to Judge’s proceedings as he work in biased manner:

1.     How can I challenge to Court that I have not received any Summons/Notices sent by court?

2.     It is possible to complaint the Judge in Higher Authority?

3.     Is court is duty bound to send their Order Copy to respondent directly? What is the exact procedure?

4.     If the Maintenance Order has been passed then how many days for its execution or how many days a respondent shall pay the amount. 

5.     When a Judge issued recovery of Maintenance after passing the Order. Is any procedure of execution of recovery.

Learning

7 Replies

Dr R SHANMUGA SUNDARAMM (Advocate)     18 November 2014

Better you can approach a local Advocate. 

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     18 November 2014

I would give you somewhat lengthy reply instead of giving pointwise reply for  your understanding.  As the interim order has been passed by the ACJM in DV case u/s. 23 (2) of DV Act, you go through the particular provision, which says:

23. Power to grant interim and ex parte orders.—(1) In any proceeding before him under this Act, the Magistrate may pass such interim order as he deems just and proper.

(2) If the Magistrate is satisfied that an application prima facie discloses that the respondent is committing, or has committed an act of domestic violence or that there is a likelihood that the respondent may commit an act of domestic violence, he may grant an ex parte order on the basis of the affidavit in such form, as may be prescribed, of the aggrieved person under Section 18, Section 19, Section 20, Section 21 or, as the case may be, Section 22 against the respondent.

By bare reading of the above provision, you can understand that the court has got the power to order ex-parte under Section 20, i.e., maintenance order.  As such, if the court has passed interim order without issuing notice to you, that is legal.  But it is not that you do not have any relief against such ex-parte order.  Read Section 25 (2) of the Act.:

(2) If the Magistrate, on receipt of an application from the aggrieved person or the respondent, is satisfied that there is a change in the circumstances requiring alteration, modification or revocation of any order made under this Act, he may, for reasons to be recorded in writing pass such order, as he may deem appropriate.

Under this section, you can move the application showing the change of circumstances for revocation of the interim maintenance order. You can further argue that her application does not disclose the true facts and obtained ex-parte order without giving you the opportunity to put your case.  Alternatively, you have got one other forum to get the redressal:  That is to file an appeal before the Adddl. Sessions Judge under Section 29 of the Act.

Next as per the Act, every order including the interim ex-parte order has to be given free of cost to the parties as per Section 24 of the Act. 

Now, coming to your specific queries:

1.  Ex-parte orders can be passed without serving notice to the respondents under this Act.

2.  Further proceedings shall be held only after proper notice is served on the respondent.  If you see that the court is manipulated about the receipt of court notice to you, you should move application before the court explaining how the manipulation has happened.  Do not involve the judge in such murky affair.  But first make sure such foul play has happened.  If there was connivance between the opposite party/her counsel and the court staff, the court will take remedial action.  Show those court notices and court orders in respect of service to your advocate and he can objectively assess whether such foul play has really happened or it is a figment of your imagination. 

3.  Maintenance order can be executable immediately after passing of the order.  So, if you see any illegality in such maintenance order, you challenge it as said above in appeal u/s. 29 of the Act.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Anil Kumar

I have got the Ex-parte Orders of Interim Maintenance in U/s 23(2) of PWDVA 2005, passed by ACJM, Allahabad Court in matter of Domestic Violence case filed by my wife.  After the case come to my knowledge I have examine the Court Record in which I have found the major faults and preparing  for counter / challenge this Order as well as to Judge’s proceedings as he work in biased manner:

1.     How can I challenge to Court that I have not received any Summons/Notices sent by court?

2.     It is possible to complaint the Judge in Higher Authority?

3.     Is court is duty bound to send their Order Copy to respondent directly? What is the exact procedure?

4.     If the Maintenance Order has been passed then how many days for its execution or how many days a respondent shall pay the amount. 

5.     When a Judge issued recovery of Maintenance after passing the Order. Is any procedure of execution of recovery.

In DV case, if wife has asked relief under section 23, then court will pass exparte orders.

Now it dont matter if you got summons or not.  You can go for appeal in Sessions Court for setaside/dismissal of DV case based on merits of your case.

Yes, you can complain to District Judge in writing.

If you dont comply with the orders of magistrate, then magistrate will issue warrant.  Police will search for you, and if you are caught will be put in jail.  Then you have to apply for bail in same magistrate court to come out.

If you are  not  caught, subsequently NBW will be issued by magistrate for noncompliance of orders, NBW means non bailable warrant, you get caught, means no bail for that.  You will have to do time in jail until magistrate himself agrees to let you out, of course on plea by your lawyer.

Either pay money/arrange accomodation for wife/take back wife [depending on what has been ordered].  Or go underground until your appeal gets honoured by Sessions Court .

This is the major disadvantage of facing DV case, section 23, court wont even hear what your side of the story is, will just pass orders what the wife/petitioner has asked.  Dont fail to give complaint against magistrate to District Judge.

Prakash S Thakkar (B.S.L LL.B)     18 November 2014

File an appeal at session court immediately nd ask for stay to her proceedings

Anil Kumar (IT Professional)     18 November 2014

Thanks to Adv. Chandrasekhar Ji, Helping Hand !, Prakash S Thakkarall Ji for your valuable guidence/advices. In fact I am planning accordingly

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 November 2014

You may proceed as properly advised to you.  You have to take an immediate action to obtain stay against the operation of the order passed ex-parte on you before she files a recovery petition claiming arrears of maintenance amount.

Anil Kumar (IT Professional)     20 November 2014

The most important in my finding that:

The Judge has written in his Order sheet that - “The court has heard Petitioner on one sided and evaluates the complete petition.”

An as per our findings, there are so many self contradictions in her petition as well as she has submitted the fake list of “Streedhan/Dowry Articles”.  Interesting fact is that - she said she has expanded total Rs. 1 Lakh including all i.e. Streedhan & Dowry article. But the list submitted by her are different which cost has been Rs. 4 Lakh including Streedhan & Dowry Articles etc. Means two different statements in her own petition and the Judge says in his Order Sheet that he has evaluate her petition completely. That’s mean he has work in a biased manner otherwise he is bound for ask the petitioner for producing the bills of said dowry articles which she pointed in her petition.

We have an ample proof and supportive evidences to prove this charge completely fake and wrong.

But, how can I nail the Judge who works in biased manner other than the option of go for appeal in Session Court?

Is any competent authority who will take actions on Judge works coz due to his wrong evaluation and order and biased working manner we have suffer a lot?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register