LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul (Engineer)     30 March 2013

E-mba course: institute failed to conduct exams on time

I was just wondering if anything can be done in the following case: A very reputed Business Management Institute in Navi Mumbai, gave out an advertisement for One Year E-MBA courses in Jan 2011... The course was to be completed with examinations by Dec 2011... The course fee was Rs. 75,000...


However, when the time for Dec 2011 exams was due, we were told that for some reasons, with the affliated university, the exam cannot be conducted in Dec 2011... We had two options: To either wait till June 2012 or withdraw from the course with refund...!! We had already put in so much time, so we reluctantly decided to wait for another six months...


However, in the month of June 2012, again the Institute gave some reasons citing problems with the university and said that the exams will be now conducted in Dec 2012... This time, however, I didnt want to wait again as I am a working professional and the entire concept of a fast track MBA program had already become meaningless now...!! So I decided to withdraw from the course...


When, I asked for the refund, this time, the Institute declined...!! I had already paid Rs. 50,000 out of 75,000 till then... Now I wish to get the refund... I wrote to the institute and they have stopped answering my mails... I am still continuing to write to the course co-ordinator...!!


Wish to know, what should be my way forward... I dont wish to get complete amount... Cos I understand that they also invested in teaching me something... I am just looking at something like 75% of refund...!!


Is there any consumer protection firm in Navi Mumbai, which can guide me thru this...


Thanks & Regards


 4 Replies

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     30 March 2013

yes you have inevested for the course and the affiliation was not recognised in the same way icfai institute was also done in the 2009 and the students has to opt out amount and they paid without any legal procedure 

what about the other students who are also in the smae situation if you have the local address then go personally and if there is no response then complain in the police station of your area about the situation

1 Like

Rahul (Engineer)     30 March 2013

Thanks Mahesh... There were other students who initially thought they'll opt out but later decided to give 'another' try... They appeared for exams, finally, in Dec 2012 and are awaiting their results...!! Havent spoken to them since...!!


I am reluctuant to approach a Police station... :).. As always feel scared to step inside... So I was waiting till date...!! I thought if there was a way to just walk into a place like a Consumer Forum, fill the details and come out...!! :)... Or may be even outsource  all these procedures to a lawyer who is well versed in the trade of laws... As an engineer I feel greatly handicapped in matters of law...!!


But as you pointed out, if the situation demands me to lodge a complain with Police, I'll give it a try...!!


Thanks indeed for your valuable inputs... Appreciate that...

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     30 March 2013

File complaint before District Consumer Redressal Forum having the jurisdiction to try and decide the complaint.claim therein refund of fee and compensation towards mental and physical agony caused to you as it is deficiency of services{  not to conduct examination on time} on part of institute.

Rahul (Engineer)     31 March 2013

Thank you sir for your reply... Yes, I've just searched internet and found that there's a District Consumer Forum in CBD Belapur where the institute is...!! I shall try to approach them... Hope I dont have a tough time... Law always scare me... :)...


Once again thanks to you for your reply and many thanks to this forum for bringing in such help in our living rooms...!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register