Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil Sharma (Consultant)     13 June 2012

Divorce or pwdv -- which will be solved first?

Dear Experts,

I filed a divorce case against my wife on the grounds of schizophrenia and cruelty. I have medical documents of her pre-marital schizophrenia. After around 3 months of getting the summon from the court, my wife filed a case against me under PWDV Act. The concerned Protection Officer informed me about the case filed by my wife and asked me over phone to appear before him. I told him to send me a summon otherwise on verbal instruction I can not appear. After around 1 month, the summon came from the court itself and in the complaint of my wife it was mentioned that the report of the Protection Officer is enclosed. It is an after-thought case as it has been filed after I filed the Divorce case. Moreover, in the complaint my wife has asked for 50% of my income (towards cost of alternate accommodation, medical expenses and daily expenses etc) per month. She made several false accusations in the complaint and hided her employment details. I have submitted written objections against her accusations and also another application attracting the notice of the court about her employment details. In the meantime, through interventions of common friends, all her belongings in my house have been handed over to her and she has given it in writing. It was told verbally that after the materials are handed over, she will agree for mutual divorce. But after getting the materials, she did not agree for mutual divorce and submitted an affidavit-in-chief to proceed with the PWDV case. In the Affidavit-in-Chief she reiterated her accusations as in the original case and has submitted that her materials are still there in my house. However, she has given me in writing that all her materials lying in my home have been satisfactorily received by her. On the other hand, in the divorce case, she initially gave her written objection and subsequently when the divorce plaint was amended by me, she did not give any written objection even after several dates granted by court. Subsequently issues have been framed for divorce, which primarily focus on why the case is not maintainable as she mentioned in her 1st WO and my pleadings in the case. My wife is delaying the divorce proceedings by sometimes remaining absent and sometimes telling that the date was not properly communicated to her by her lawyer. However, she is appearing regularly in the PWDV Case 
In this context, my questions are :
1) What can be the reasons for not appearing in the Divorce case but pursuing the PWDV Case?
2) What actions can I take if I can prove that even after getting her materials and admitting it in writing, she has given false statement in the Affidavit-in-Chief?
3) What actions can I take when she has given false statement about her employment and earnings? 
4) Any other suggestions how to proceed in the case

Learning

4 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     14 June 2012

Originally posted by :Sunil Sharma
" My questions are :

1. What can be the reasons for not appearing in the Divorce case but pursuing the PWDV Case?
Take: Bze divorce is asked by a HUSBAND !

2. What actions can I take if I can prove that even after getting her materials and admitting it in writing, she has given false statement in the Affidavit-in-Chief?
Take: File an Application on behalf of the Opposite Party / Respondent under Section 340 CrPC read with Section 193, 195 CrPC as amended and uptodated with WITNESS LIST CALL FOR.

3. What actions can I take when she has given false statement about her employment and earnings? 
Take: File an Application on behalf of the Opposite Party / Respondent under Section 340 CrPC read with Section 193, 195 CrPC as amended and uptodated with WITNESS LIST CALL FOR.

4. Any other suggestions how to proceed in the case
Take: Ask for cost of adjournment in Divorce case and shorter dates and deligently stick your foot to first run above case either dispose or issue notice to her to reply then take her DV case in the interest of justice.
"

Sunil Sharma (Consultant)     14 June 2012

Dear  Mr tajobsindia, 

Are you suggesting to pursue the divorce case vigorously and then to take the outcome of it to the PWDV case? Till then to prolong the PWDV case?  

Parth Chandra (none)     15 June 2012

Yes, Tajobindia is right.

Apart from his advice in case of more than two consequetive adjournments, you can also put applications to close her right to reply/evidence etc. and go ex-party.

Regards,

Partha

Sunil Sharma (Consultant)     16 June 2012

In between, once a show cause was given by the Court asking why the case will not be heard ex-parte. On the appointed date, her lawyer took the plea that inadvertently the date was not properly entered in the diary!!! Can such kind of pleas be taken? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register