LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SN   20 October 2015

Divorce on medical grounds

My wife got brain cancer 6 years ago. Just before that I had started working in Canada after an expensive course and had to quit. I had huge student loan and now the treatment also made me carry a huge debt. I took utmost care of her, remained at home and never went back. Doctors gave up on her in the initial 6 months, and after that i have reasearched and preapred an alternative medicine approach to help her heal. Although she has survived, she is physically disabled and is totally confined to bed. I have been physicall, emotionally and financially drained. My career and her career (Dentist) have fininshed and our two daughters also had to go through this who turmoil from a very young age. My parents also are rude and unsupportive. I do some business on the side to make ends meet. However my in laws are supportive. Now I have an opportunity again to move back to Canada and go back to my career. However this requires that my dependents be medically cleared. I also do not have an emotionally or physically fucntional marriage for last 6 years. I would like to take divorse and mutually take care of my wife with the help of my in-laws. I would like to move on and reagain some mental and professional strength which i need to help provide for my daughters and for my wife as well. Does anyone this its possible?

Learning

8 Replies

SN   20 October 2015

Tried to correct some errors to my original post.

My wife got brain cancer 6 years ago. Just before that I had started working in Canada after an expensive course and had to quit. I had huge student loan and now the treatment also made me carry another huge debt. I took utmost care of her, remained at home and never went back to Canada. Doctors gave up on her in the initial 6 months, and after that i have reasearched and prepared an alternative medicine approach to help her heal. Although she has survived, she is physically disabled and is totally confined to bed. I have been physically, emotionally and financially drained. My career and her career (Dentist) have fininshed and our two daughters also had to go through this whole turmoil from a very young age. My parents also are rude and unsupportive. I do some business on the side to make ends meet. However my in-laws are supportive. Now I have an opportunity again to move back to Canada and go back to my career after some training. However this requires that my dependents be medically cleared. My wife cannot be medically cleared because of the permanent nature of her sickness. I also do not have an emotionally or physically fucntional marriage for last 6 years. I would like to take divorce on medical grounds and mutually take care of my wife with the help of my in-laws. I would like to move on and reagain some mental and professional strength which i need to help provide for my daughters and for my wife as well. Does anyone think this is legally possible? Please advise.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     21 October 2015

What would have been UR stand if the case was vice versa? If UR wife behaved in the same manner could U tolerate? 

DO U KNOW THE MEANING OF SAPTAPADI( SEVEN SACRED STEPS WE UNDERTAKE AT THE TIME OF MARRIAGE)

• The couple takes the first step and promises that they will take care of each other and pray for abundant blessings and prosperity in their life.
  • In the second step, the couple promises and prays to the Gods to bless them with physical and mental powers and lead a healthy married life.
  • During the third step, they promise to protect and increase their wealth by proper means.
  • With the fourth step, the bride and the groom pledge to share happiness and sadness together.
  • With the fifth step, the couple promises to be responsible and care for their children.
  • The sixth step is taken by the couple to be together always.
  • And while taking the last seventh step, they promise to be truthful and trustworthy to each other and pledge to be united always in friendship and harm

I am sorry I don't support Ur proposal.

A. A. JOSE (LAWYER; LEGAL ADVISER/CONSULTANT& TRAINER)     21 October 2015

Yes, perhaps it may be legally possible for you to get a divorce, but the relevant questions raised by Mr.Sainath Devalla will surely hunt you thereafter too.   While I fully understand your predicaments, I am of the personal  view that,even  on the face such adversities one should not  be lead by narrow selfish interests but one should treat them as an opportunity to suffer and sacrifice for the cause of  one's own  life-partner by fulfilling the vows undertaken at the time of marriage rite, i.e. "SATPADI" as rightly explained by Mr.Devalla.

(Guest)

Once you go to court, love, caring, truth, conscience all go for a toss.  Think and take step, and stick to whatever step you are going to take, dont be fickel minded, all the best.

FREDYCHARLES RK - Bangalore (Advocate)     21 October 2015

The best advice and worth to etching is by Sainath . My friend you never know what stays ahead of you and never think things will go the way you planned. you have no any clue of what the next minute holds for you dude !!!!!. Don;t commit that blunder my friend, you sensual lust will soon fade away and again it may evaporate once you hit a blocker at work that too in a foreign land where you have to be on recieiving end for your  survival  dude !!!!

b.goheel   21 October 2015

No religion give advice to couple to stay apart.
it is a product of westernized materialistic world.
Ironically people there now tired of this lifestyle and seek mental peace and whereas we here blindly follow it w/o thinking of its side effect on our generation as well  own health such as tension, hypertension, depression

SuperHero (Manager)     21 October 2015

@Sainath Ji....Yes agreed what you have mentioned the 7 steps..In today's busiest world nobody has time to explain the 7 steps nor to understand the meaning behind it..

Everybody wants to take a selfie and post it in FB or Twitter or Whatsapp...On the other side Parents are counting money, how much they spent??

@SN - Please Listen to your Heart and follow it.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     21 October 2015

I dispute with the above reply.Then marriage should be considered only for dowry,gifts etc,better avoid marriages and opt for live in relationships.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register