LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

parie (vbsdhs)     07 June 2012

Divorce

Hi, My sister got married & its was a Love marriage. This marriage was know only to the boy's family 1st. Post the wedding my sister went to work as usual and was staying away frm family & friends. And the guy went to aborad for his studies. Later the boys family wanted to have a grand wedding so spoke to the girls family. Even at that point of time due to family was an orthodox one girl's family was nt informed that they got married. The topic of marriage led the boy's mother asked my sister how much you earn, show the salary slips of 6 monhs & 6 month bank statement. post which my sister said that she is married to her family. My sister denied that she ll not be able to show the details, then the boys mother & father said my sister u r have crossed 30, ur father is not supporting you, you have health issues & now u r not showing the payslips and bankstatement, boys parents said my sister to divorce their son so that we can get him married to someone worth.My sister said u cnt speak to me like this, speak to your son. Later when my sister said these things to her husband & due to which aruguments were happening. He finally said i will stick to my parents decision. After few months he came back and said i am sorry & please lets speak to parents then we will get married. My sister clearly said its not possible since he has not supported when she was in need & his parents literally used harsh words, but still he was quiet. Then the guy said ok give me the divorce so that even i can move on with my life. Inbetween all this both of them has so much heated arguments & now he is roaming with an other girl & say publicly that she is his GF. Can anyone suggest what should be done future.

Learning

6 Replies

VINOD VERMA (C E O)     07 June 2012

In your case your sister has been cheated, the best option would be file a cr. complaint with the police that your brother in law and his family, (name all realtions including the boys, Parents, brothers/bhabi, sisters/brother in laws) are harassing your family for dowry. See how soon you can get them on their knees, but make sure for one thing, if your sister still wants to remain married to the same boy, then just use this as a threat, otherwise go for a rpompt action

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     07 June 2012

You can take the horse till the pond, but you cannot force it drink water unless it feels thirsty and feels like drinking water.  The same is the case with human beings.   Unless he himself feels like re-uniting with your sister you cannot do anything. Any legal proceeding against him will further widen the gap between him and your sister.  So before deciding to proceed on any legal proceeding be sure you lost him and be mentally prepared for it.  Don't think by initiating some legal action you can correct your sister's life because human beings are basically driven by ego and self respect.  When you initiate legal action the feeling/impression they get is "you are challenging/threatening/forcing them".  So they retort/react accordingly with re-inforced sense of enmity and ill-will.

parie (vbsdhs)     07 June 2012

Hi thanks for your reply. she s mentally prepared to give him divorce.. how should we take this forward.

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     09 June 2012

Gather evidences about his relationship with her girl friend. Or best way is let your sister question him over phone what is his relationship with her. He will naturally get angry and shout at your sister, she is my everything...so and so...who are you to ask and all. Record that conversation. Apply for contested divorce on the grounds of desertion and cruelty (for developing relationship outside marriage), and file cases under DV Act for Economic Abuse, Emotional abuse and seek Compensation under S.22 of Act. Also file for Interim maintenance S.24 of HMA and also maintenance under S.20 of DV Act.

Harrased Male (xxxx)     09 June 2012

what i understand is that the guy wanted a divorce at first, which your sister didnt give. now, personally i feel, if your sister is willing to give a divorce, it doesnt make any sense for filing a contested case. Settle matter amicably on mutual terms and move on. But I am not a qualified person to give suggestion. Im just sharing my opinion.

Good Luck

Harrased Male (xxxx)     09 June 2012

what i understand is that the guy wanted a divorce at first, which your sister didnt give. now, personally i feel, if your sister is willing to give a divorce, it doesnt make any sense for filing a contested case. Settle matter amicably on mutual terms and move on. But I am not a qualified person to give suggestion. Im just sharing my opinion.

Good Luck

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register