LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arjun D   30 March 2024

My wife has spolen jewellery

My wife in my absence has stolen jewellery worth 4 lakh from our cupboard. This was my mother's jewellery. We have video footage of this. What is your advice? If I go ahead with divorce can I be exempt from paying maintenance to my wife?


 7 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 March 2024

You first lodge a criminal complaint with police and create records for this.

Subsequently you can add this also one among the reasons for seeking divorce on the grounds of cruelty.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     31 March 2024

If you have decided to take legal action against your wife, you should file a police complaint, if she has stolen your mother's jewellary,.

Personally I would not advise to file complaint but sort out within family and save matrimonial institution, which is much above and precious than alleged stolen jewellary.

Arjun D   31 March 2024

I had also given my wife 7 lakh rupees to help her with her matrimonial expenses. Is this part of her streedhan and her right?

Arjun D   31 March 2024

Moreover, in case I file a divorce case on the grounds of cruelty, would I still have to pay maintenance to her?

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     01 April 2024

Variety of facts vis-a-vis quries and every time it is on change. Theft to cruelty to lending money to divorce etc. etc.

It is better to consult a local prudent lawyer for proper analyses of facts and circumstances and professional advise / proceeding.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 April 2024

If she is not employed and not having any source of income to sustain her expenses and if she's not living an adulterous life then she would be eligible for maintenance from you.


Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 April 2024

Before moving for action you have to be 100% sure that the jewllery ws not gifted to her by your mother.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register