LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

karthik   14 April 2020

Cheating and bigamy by wife

My wife remarried without divorse and I have her marriage pics and 2nd marriage certificate

Can you let me know if in our indian courts wife got jailed on cheating and bigamy.

if so please share me any judgements of jail term to wife for 2nd marriage without divorse

Learning

6 Replies

Archit Uniyal   14 April 2020

Hi,

Your question is related to bigamy under the Indian Penal Code and Hindu Marriage Act.

The offence of bigamy or marrying again during lifetime of husband or wife is punishable under Section 494 of the Penal Code (S. 494) and under Section 17 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.

Bigamy is prohibited under Section 494 of the Indian Penal Code. Section 494 IPC talks about Marrying again during lifetime of husband or wife and states that, whoever in the lifetime of existing husband/wife marries someone else, such marriage by reason of its taking place during the lifetime of such husband or wife, should be considered void and should be punished for such offence. If any person marries more than once during the life of first husband or wife should be punished with imprisonment which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Section 17 of the Hindu Marriage Act lays out the Punishment of bigamy. It says that any marriage between two Hindus solemnized after the commencement of this Act is void if at the date of such marriage either party had a husband or wife living, and the provisions of Sections 494 and 495 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) shall apply accordingly.

For an offence of bigamy to have been committed the following ingredients are required

• The Accused must be married
  • He must have contracted Second Marriage
  • The first marriage should subsist
  • The first husband/wife must be alive
  • Both marriages must have completed necessary ceremonies and must be valid (Priya Bala Ghosh v Suresh Chandra Ghosh)

If all these conditions are satisfied then you can file a case against your wife for bigamy under section 494 IPC.

I hope this solves your query.

Regards,

Archit

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     14 April 2020

Dear querist,

You can sent your wife to jail as per case stated by you. To file complaint on the ground of bigamy judgement is not required. In addition to this Bigamy is good ground to get divorce. So you can file divoce application and get the divorce easily.

Regards,

karthik   14 April 2020

thanks for your reply.

Most of are saying women is not jailed in bigamy/cheating in indian courts is it correct sir?

Shashi Dhara   14 April 2020

Easy grounds for divorce take it ,don't proceed ,it may take years to end.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     15 April 2020

Messages by author   

Cheating and bigamy by wife Family Law 14 April 2020

How ex parte divorse happened or not Family Law 27 March 2020

Need help wife husband issue Family Law 24 March 2020

Civil defamation case Labour & Service Law 25 February 2020

Divorse Family Law 22 February 2020

Divorse Family Law 22 February 2020

Bigamy case Family Law 07 February 2020

Time limit for filing wrongful termination case in india Labour & Service Law 21 October 2019

Registration sale deed aletered in registration office Property Law 21 October 2019

Criminal defamation relief Criminal Law 21 October 2019

Need help wife issue Family Law 24 April 2018 

What is actual problem /dispute ?

karthik   16 April 2020

My wife remarried without divorse and I have her marriage pics and 2nd marriage certificate

Can you let me know if in our indian courts wife got jailed on cheating and bigamy.

if so please share me any judgements of jail term to wife for 2nd marriage without divorse

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register