Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pawan Joshi (Partner)     15 June 2012

Denying permssion to continue in hostel.

Dear Sir,

One fine morning I received a letter from the college of my son stating that

Dear Parents,

We are sorry to inform you that your son------- sic no. ---------- is not permitted to continue his stay in the Residence from the coming Academic session o disiplinary ground.

You are required to meet the undersinged for further information.

My younger brother who stays in the same city, where my son is studying contacted the faculty in charge. He was communicated that my son is having attitude problem and all the committe members are against him without any further details.

when I asked my son as to what has happened, he told that some of the students of his 2nd academic year(same as my son) were involved in some scuffle with the stundents of first year and one faculty physically assaulted some students of 2nd year. All the students of 2nd year boycotted the class for one day in protest. My son was nowhere involved in those incidents except the strike where all the students boycotted the class.

Now from the facts of the above case can I question and challenge the decision arrived by the college committe and will I be right in putting these questions before the so called committe.

• No opportunity was given of being heard for the allegation if any to my son and hence the rule of natural justice was not followed.
  • No fault is communicated in the letter sent to me or verbally to my brother for the reason for not giving the permission to continue in the hostel/Residence of college.
  • Who is the complainent, what is the complaint, who heard the complaint and what is the basis of the decision.
  • The decision of the so called committed is unilateral without hearing the party who is affected by their decision and hence grossly unjustified.
  • There is no warning of any sort to my son or to parents for any objectionable behaviour by my son at any instance in the past.
  • What kind of rule is this that for any type of fault which is not related to any manner in staying in hostel, the student is being barred from hostel, means a student who is involved in the same indiscipline there is no punishment.
  • what is rule book of a college, I think it should be common to all the educational institution, which is based on natural justice and cannot work on the sweet will and self imposed rule the way one like.

Advice from the experts here will help me make a decision.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register