Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Milind (dealer )     04 January 2015

Delayed ex-gratia payment

Dear Sir/Madam,

Person A was the L.I.C agent who gained smart commission during his life time, unfortunately he passed away in a road accident in year 2012

He had a general insurance through LIC, and premium was being deducted through his commission, his commission never gone nil, had always sufficient amount for paying premium for said general insurance.

while nominee claimed for getting group insurance scheme (general insurance) amount it was told to her tat premium from last 3 years was not deducted and on this regard deceased was neither get informed nor get any notice . ( it must be noted tat prior to join L.I.C deceased had given all power to LIC fr deduction any premium through his commission) and they declined to settled the said claim.

then nominee filed a case in IGMS and due to them finally nominee got insurance amount. as an ex-Gratia amount 

Nominee received Ex-Gratia payment after 3 year so my main question is tat -

A1) Is insurer liable to pay interest on delayed Ex-Gratia Payment if yes then

A2) How much interest will be paid and how will it be calculated.

If not

Then Please let me know why in this case (Ex-Gratia) insurer aint liable to pay interest on delayed payment

Thanks & Regards

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     09 January 2015

Ex-gratia payment will not attract interest.  It is not given as a rule of eligibility, it is given out of courtesy hence no interest can be claimed on it. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register