LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Siddharth (Manager)     21 February 2024

Dear lawyers... Problems with father

Dear lawyers, I have an abusive, addict father who isn't concerned about family. After my grandparents passing, the property got transferred to him. Can despite having more than 30 acres, he didn't even take a loan of atleast single acre for my education or career. After my mom passed, he remarried to nagging abusive blackmailing old lady who doesn't have minimum moral values or ethics.

Does he have right to sell our ancestral property without our knowledge, because he already sold my mom's own property which she bought for my future. Now I am concerned and depressed about my grandfather's property.


 5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 February 2024

Firstly your grandfather's property that he inherited as his rightful share is not an ancestral property.

Secondly he cannot sell your mother's property on his own after the death of your mother, you are having a right over that property.

You can claim half of the sale consideration amount or any other immovable property as compensation towards your share or you can approch court with a suit for partition and for separate possession of your share in it

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     22 February 2024

He has a share in ancestral property with all other siblings.

Similary you (with other siblings) have a share in your father's share, seek partition, possession and permanent injunction for your share through a local prudent lawyer.

Shashi Dhara   22 February 2024

First you have to file suit for partition by metes and bounds and after can sell it.

1 Like

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     25 February 2024

Whatever your father inherited from his father (your grandfather) is his property until his death. He can dispose it of in whatever manner  he likes. You have no claim on them when your father is alive. If he does not use it for your benefit, that is just unfortunate. He can sell his ancestral property. When he is alive it is not "our" ancestral property.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 February 2024

How could he sell mother's property.  please enaborate.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register